Brexit...and CITES???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear orchid friends!

I'm sad about UK leaving the EU, for one...but was wondering, what Brexit implies regarding our common interest, orchids?

I hope, I'm wrong, but my immediate guess would be, that it won't be possible to carry or have sent orchids to continental Europe from UK without a CITES permit (and vice versa, of course)?!

Does any of you have a more qualified guess than mine - or even better: some real knowledge about the topic?

Most kind regards,
Jens,
Copenhagen, Denmark

That is a very, very good question. I have zero insight unfortunately. It’s probably going to be a clusterf$ck across the board for a couple of years....

Dear orchid friends!

I'm sad about UK leaving the EU, for one...but was wondering, what Brexit implies regarding our common interest, orchids?

I hope, I'm wrong, but my immediate guess would be, that it won't be possible to carry or have sent orchids to continental Europe from UK without a CITES permit (and vice versa, of course)?!

Jens,
Copenhagen, Denmark

Jens, that is true if there is a no deal Brexit. In addition You will need a phytosanitary document.
But in the moment I don't risk a forecast.

I just started my last order and hope the plant will be shipped before March 30.

The Eric Young Foundation is in the Isle of Jersey (not UK), so I think not affected by Brexit.

It is not jet finally discussed, if and how much Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man are affected by Brexit.

Interesting. Not that I ever really had to look into it, but I didn't realize that it was currently legal to ship between EU countries without CITES documentation (since it is still technically different countries).

I hope it doesn't become too much of a hassle for you guys! Let's be real though, it will probably be a mess until they figure it out...

Latest posts

Back