Just wanted to say hi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Missgreen

My name is Johanne- or Joanna to my English speaking friends and family.

I live in Copenhagen, the capital of Denmark, and recently I've started growing orchids again after a longer break and completely fallen in love with the genus Phragmipedium. Thus the reason I wanted to join Slippertalk to learn more about my favorite orchids, as well as to learn about other favorites like Paphs. For me slippers are real orchids ;) like the ones I admired in gardening books as a child and now I'm growing them myself. Very addictive.

For a long time one of my favorite orchids was the Phragmipedium besseae but I was afraid of getting one. Well in March I finally went for it and now it's reblooming YAY lol.

Another orchidfriend and Phragophile introduced med to Phrag. kovachii and it's hybrids. So far that has proven to be a very expensive friendship :drool:

My collection is still very limited, but I love what I've managed to find so far:

Of slippers I have:

Phragmipedium besseae, Phrag. schliemi, Phrag. caudatum and waiting for a Phrag. besseae Flava and a Phrag. Jason Fisher to arrive by post from Wubben Orchids in Germany. One of the few, to my knowledge, orchid vendors in Europe with a decent selection of Phragmipediums :D.

I also have a Phragmipedium Calurum and 3 young kovachii hybrids; Andean Tears, Eumelia Aries and Peruflora's Angel (x richteri) as well as a Living Fire.

I only have two Paphs and so far have only had limited success with these. I have an Paph. appletonianum x wolterianum and a Paph. DePerle. I want to get more though :p

I have other orchids and I love them all. But slippers and Cattleyas are my favorites :clap:

Hopefully we will have some nice orchid discussions

XX Johanne Kelly

Welcome to Slippertalk, Johanne!

I never liked Phrags -- until someone gave me one. That hooked me, and now I have over 100!

Good way to start. Phrags are generally (not always) easier than paphs, and the modern besseae's are much easier than the original collected plants. However, there is far more variety in paphs, for both foliage and flowers, and once you have mastered phrags (not difficult at all) you will want to get at least a small assortment of paphs...and they will all be very different.

Welcome from Canada Johanne.

You say bessae eh? You and nyeric will get along very nicely.

Thank you so much everybody, what a nice welcome!

:-D Slipperfan- Over a hundred Phrags? I can't even imagine lol.

Eric Muehlbauer ;-) a small collection of Paphs? You don't know me very well lol, already picked out a few must haves and I'm sure with the help of you guys I'll master how to grow them in no time.

Jean- Yes, of course he is in Holland, sorry my mistake. It was very hard not to spend my entire months wages on orchids :-D

Thrithor: Well it's only in bud so far ;-) I'm like a proud granny lol, taking pics and checking it several times a day

I grow most of my Phrags in Greenimx, they seem to do really well in that. It's an inorganic growing medium that is well suited to Phrags who like their feet wet. I also grow some in a Spagnum/perlite mix but I think I'm going to repot them in Greenmix in the spring. If you have underheating, Greenmix is great for many orchids but I've heard horrible stories of Phals and Catts rotting away in Greenmix because its to wet and cold for their liking.

http://www.orchidegartneriet.dk/?pid=79&sub=70&sub2=71

Back