Slippertalk Judging & Awards Proposal

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds kind of fun if we could get it implemented. And that's a big if since the techies may have a lot to do!

And let's not forget that flowers are to be judged, not people. ;)

I would be bad at that,because I pretty much start out disliking everybody at first.I find its better that way,so your not disappointed when you realize they suck.I guess you can say I am a 'professional hater' or shorts.

Or maybe just a realist?

That's what I tell the wife all the time,especially when she says ''If you Don't have anything nice to Say, don't Say anything at all''. I am now banished to the car,if we have to go to Walmart for something.The area of Baltimore I live in has the worst people in it,but best people watching.You could be Joseph Merrick and when you come out,you would feel like the sexiest man on the planet.I think there's a website just dedicated to pictures of people in Walmart across the country.I would imagine its NSFW ,so I'm not going to bother looking it up to see if it exists still.

PS-sorry for getting off track and stealing the thread for a little bit.

I would be bad at that,because I pretty much start out disliking everybody at first.I find its better that way,so your not disappointed when you realize they suck.I guess you can say I am a 'professional hater' or shorts.

I'm a professional liker...and I get disappointed a lot. I have an insanely high ''hormone level'' of optimism and fairness. And I won't apologize if I suck. So consider all of you guys liked until proven otherwise. :):):)

I'm a professional liker...and I get disappointed a lot. I have an insanely high ''hormone level'' of optimism and fairness. And I won't apologize if I suck. So consider all of you guys liked until proven otherwise. :):):)

I haven't came across anyone who sucks here either,but I cant say that some of the other Orchid forums.

Just wait until they start criticizing your prize flowers! :evil:
"If the petals were a little less pointed it would have made the Hall of Fame"
"But I prefer more pointed petals"
"Those judges "suck""
:wink:

HAHAHAHAHA!

Perhaps we could start with a hall of fame that is open for voting by all registered members , but once a plant gets enough votes, it can then be reviewed for
'blue ribbon status' or something as a second tier by a small group of more experienced members. That way we all can participate on noting what we like, and from that pool, we would then see what is judged superior.

Wait till I start making dancing paph videos to bad music,like I seen on another paph forum.i promise they will be coming soon.

How many of you are accredited or student judges?

I like the idea of a Hall of Fame. Sort of along the same lines, I think there could also be one for photography. We have some excellent photos of high quality and well grown plants, and excellent photos period.

Would it be feasible to have a calendar made of photos of some of the plants that make it into the Hall of Fame? Maybe a bit early for that, but we could have a calendar anyway, of photos of plants posted on Slippertalk. We could vote on which ones we want in there. Maybe a fundraiser for ST? I see now that this sholuld be in a different thread, but it kind of ties in.

I like this idea!! I think we should start small & grow it to see how it goes. But we would have to consider the parentage of plants also.. i.e. If the plant is already awarded it should not be allowed in our judging. It might be a way to also get some more well deserved plants awarded if they bring them to an AOS sactioned show!!

Shiva- You misunderstood me. We are actually in agreement. I like the HOF idea because its strictly informative and supportive.

Heather-

I would be careful about an "advisory council!" How would you feel if people you didn't know decided your favorite plant was crap by their standards. I respect many people here, even the controversial ones. However, I would be very upset if my favorite plants were denied HOF status because a few people decided they didn't like it, or didn't like me. My $0.02 open it up to voting by active members in a separate section.

I have enough enemies here not to have to worry about them on an "advisory council.":D

Heather-

I would be careful about an "advisory council!" How would you feel if people you didn't know decided your favorite plant was crap by their standards. I respect many people here, even the controversial ones. However, I would be very upset if my favorite plants were denied HOF status because a few people decided they didn't like it, or didn't like me. My $0.02 open it up to voting by active members in a separate section.

I have enough enemies here not to have to worry about them on an "advisory council.":D

Welcome to the world of Orchid Judging.It's the low ballers when it comes to scoring plants that gets me.LOL!

I'm getting in here late but at least I'm not sorry;)! I think the best way and fairest way for a HOF is anonymous, anonymous, anonymous. Meaning Membership nominations, membership voting. Such as,no one can nominate their own flowers, membership votes and those are displayed for all to see and major rules. We would have to have a cut off for voting e.g. % of the membership and a time limit. I think our society has to have 51% of the activity membership present when voting in new officers for the following year and I believe we get 2 meetings (2 months) to decide on the nominees.

What is to judged in an award system, outstanding photographs of a mediocre flower, outstanding cultural achievement, flower quality by AOS standards or ????
Does an award system create or foster cliques? The AOS judging system has been accused of this.
What is the purpose of the Slippertalk Forum??
Would development of an award system encourage or discourage newbies to paph growing?
What ego needs would a new award system meet that cannot be found elsewhere?
Just food for thought.

Latest posts

Back