Branching Besseae var Flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nicely bloomed Susie. Congratulations on this success! Phrag. besseae, especially the var. flavum, can be touchy and blast buds easily.

BTW: Give your Maudiae some more understanding. After all, it is the worst time of year (Northern Hemisphere), for light levels and many plants go dormant, or at least, they slow right down. It'll start doing something by late February, most likely.

Nicely grown, Suzie, and one of our favorite species. Interestingly enough, the line bred besseae flavums are much easier to grow than the originally collected one. What are you're growing conditions? For us, lower light, low to intermediate temps, plenty of low TDS water and good air movement seems to work well.

Thanks,
Thanks for the tip about lower light, Tom -- I didn't know that!

I also didn't know the yellow form could branch, either. That's really cool. Congrats, Susie, you are lucky to have this plant.

Very nicely bloomed Susie. Congratulations on this success! Phrag. besseae, especially the var. flavum, can be touchy and blast buds easily.

BTW: Give your Maudiae some more understanding. After all, it is the worst time of year (Northern Hemisphere), for light levels and many plants go dormant, or at least, they slow right down. It'll start doing something by late February, most likely.

Thanks for the Maudiae advice John M. I shall wait and see and maybe just maybe it might do something this year...

Hi Dot,

Happy New Year! As far as light levels, we sampled seven separate Phrag. besseae habitats in Ecuador in 2005 and came up with an 800 ft-candle average (pretty shady). The lowest was 600 fc, the highest 1,400 fc.

Hi Dot,

Happy New Year! As far as light levels, we sampled seven separate Phrag. besseae habitats in Ecuador in 2005 and came up with an 800 ft-candle average (pretty shady). The lowest was 600 fc, the highest 1,400 fc.

That is pretty shady! And may explain why my besseaes have always struggled. Thanks, Tom -- that is very useful information!!!:clap:

Just thought I'd put some better pictures of it in the thread. It still has two flowers and the second flower is noticably growing and already larger than the first!!

2012-01-02143730.jpg

2012-01-02102316.jpg

2012-01-02231142.jpg

Flowering besseae flavum aren't that common, much less holding 2 flowers or branching, any photo is great.

Wow! Really? Well then, even more need to make sure that the few examples on offer are of a superior quality. I wish I could start again now! Thanks for the kind words though :)

You could probably sell your example to a breeder.

Well that is good to know but I like it too much to sell it! I would however gift some pollen or maybe one day divide it but I couldn't part with it -ever. I think that would rather kill it accidentally. The growers are in the process of moving to the States (San Fran. /California -I think) so they will be on sale where you are. I spoke to the growers yesterday and they will be taking all of their breeding stock with them so you could get one for yourself from the same family. Maybe this is a type that branches easily.

Any names?

I think I can post the names on this site. The name of the business is Plested orchids. The email is [email protected]. The names of the owners are Janet and Ian and they will be open for business in about six or so months but you'd have to email them to know for sure. They are very reasonable, my Besseae was £30. So definitely get in touch and good growing!! :D

Back