Branching Besseae var Flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie11

Reaction score
Here it finally is, my first ever phrag flowers!! I have been waiting patiently for this to bloom and to my relief the flowers are good. The first one was a little deformed but the second one is fine :). I have managed to keep two on at once and it is also branching! So, I am very happy with this one.

2012-01-01104119.jpg

2012-01-01104312-1-1-1.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality of the pics but I only have a camera phone. :D

oh wow! Bravo Susie.. I didn't know they could branch!!

Thanks Silvan I didn't either! I had a nice surprise when I realised that that's what it actually was though. I think that keeping it drier than it would perhaps like or require might have had something to do with it!

Thank you Goldenrose although I don't know why you would feel inadequate lol :). I got it with a two inch spike two months ago so I can't take all of the credit.
I kill bessies and they're one of my favorite phrag species. Give me a bess hybrid & most do quite well, go figure!

I kill bessies and they're one of my favorite phrag species. Give me a bess hybrid & most do quite well, go figure!
Well I have a Mem Dick Clements almost ready to flower too! I have done quite well with my phrags actually but my paph Maudiae alba is another matter. I have had it for about two or three months and it has not done anything at all. It is flowering sized but it has done nothing since I've had it :(. Patience is called for I know....

Very nice flowers Susie and very well grown. The plants you have certainly like your conditions so keep it up!!:clap::clap:

Gary
UK

Very nice flowers Susie and very well grown. The plants you have certainly like your conditions so keep it up!!:clap::clap:

Gary
UK

Will do Gary. I have a few more coming into flower / bud so I will have a few more pics to post soon :rollhappy:

Nicely grown, Suzie, and one of our favorite species. Interestingly enough, the line bred besseae flavums are much easier to grow than the originally collected one. What are you're growing conditions? For us, lower light, low to intermediate temps, plenty of low TDS water and good air movement seems to work well.

Thanks,

Nicely grown, Suzie, and one of our favorite species. Interestingly enough, the line bred besseae flavums are much easier to grow than the originally collected one. What are you're growing conditions? For us, lower light, low to intermediate temps, plenty of low TDS water and good air movement seems to work well.

Thanks,
Hi Tomkalina. My conditions are all of the above. I water only when almost dry, I feed at a quarter strength and flush when I remember. The temps are quite cool as I don't heat the room in which I grow my phrags and light levels are whatever it is doing outside. Seems to have worked well for me although I shall see what my budding mem dick clements turns out like before I'll know for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back