Bog gardens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eOrchids

Reaction score
Hey all,
Here are my portable CP bog gardens setup.

bog2-1.jpg

In this bog, I have S. flava, S. flava 'heavily veined', S. flava var cupreau, S. flava var maxima, S. flava 'red tube' S. alata, S. oreophila

bog1-1.jpg

In this bog, I have S. leucophylla, S. leucophylla var red, S. leucophylla 'Tarnok', S. leucophylla 'Titan', S. minor, S. minor 'Okee Giant'

bog3.jpg

This bog has S. purpurea ssp purpurea, S. purpurea ssp venosa, S. purpurea ssp purpurea f. hetereophylla, S. purpurea ssp venosa var Chipola, S. purpurea ssp venosa "Louis Burke", S. purpurea ssp venosa
"Brunswick Beauty", S. purpurea 'black and red' and S. psittacina

Last but not least, my VFT bog w D rotundifolia:
bog4.jpg

Enjoy!

Ah, you grow them just like me, in small containers. I'd love to get one going in the ground, but there's no space :(

The bog with all the flava looks particularly good. Do you use "peat tea" on yours to increase pigmentation? I've never tried it, but I'm told it really works.

Are your bog gardens outdoors in the winter? Filled in an outdoor shallow pond with peat last summer and have Gunnera in part of it. Recently added some Darlingtonias, which promptly turned red, so don't know their hardiness.

The bog with all the flava looks particularly good. Do you use "peat tea" on yours to increase pigmentation? I've never tried it, but I'm told it really works.

Thanks. I heard about it as well. Plenty of sunshine is what my Sarracenia only get!

Are your bog gardens outdoors in the winter? Filled in an outdoor shallow pond with peat last summer and have Gunnera in part of it. Recently added some Darlingtonias, which promptly turned red, so don't know their hardiness.

They are out all year round. In the winter, I put them garbage bags stuffed with leaves / hay, closeup the garbage bags and tuck them really close to the apartment.

From my understanding, Darlingtonia can be really hardy once established.

I could actually do one of those. Next time I see you we will have to have lunch and discuss this bog thingie! :D

Sounds good to me, Eric. I would love to help you out!

Planning to go to the Silva Orchidfest (NJ) in July?

Lots of favorites!
Do you ever change the soil(peat/sand) being that it is contained? It maybe five years in the same mix, for my container.
Any selfseed?
You might find me asking this often.
Thanks Eric.

Lots of favorites!
Do you ever change the soil(peat/sand) being that it is contained? It maybe five years in the same mix, for my container.
Any selfseed?
You might find me asking this often.
Thanks Eric.

Actually I use a peat / perlite mixture. They have been in these containers for about 3 years (ever since I broke them up from one large bog to 3 mini bogs).

Nope, no self seed plants.

Bog Update:

flava.jpg

S. alata, flava & varieties and oreophila bog

Titan.jpg

S. leucophylla 'Titan'

minor.jpg

S. minor

PurBog.jpg

S. purpurea (and varieties) & S. psittacina bog

Purpurea.jpg

S. purpurea ssp purpurea