AOS?... or maybe just me

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, to cnycharles----I don't know what lawyers you deal with but kindly keep your opinions to yourself. It is people like you shooting their mouths off without thinking that start and inflame these things. For your information , I am a trial lawyer. Every lawyer that I know including myself would be urging both sides to mediate the matter and do everything they can to keep it out of court. No one will win if its litigated- including the lawyers because a. neither party has hugely deep pockets and b. the bad press for the lawyers will cost them more in business in the future than they would earn from this case.

:) Hello Ed,
Of course, not every lawyer is a thief! I'm not shooting off my mouth, but most likely just pointing out that in this case there seems to be more interest in litigation than pointing out reality that there isn't really money to be made by trying this case, though they are hired to do so. I have many relatives who are also lawyers, and none of them are thieves. On the other hand, I most likely followed and posted that line of reasoning because a good friend and co-worker is going through a divorce, and he has pointed out that in several instances his wife's lawyer refused points in the agreement stating that 'she doesn't want that...'. When she was contacted she denied it and said that their previous in person agreements were still agreeable and didn't know what the heck the lawyer was talking about. They had to sit down and draft a total agreement and hand it to her lawyer, with her telling him that this is what she agreed to, make no other determinations or statements or else. It doesn't help, here, that there often are numerous ads on television and newspapers with ambulance chasers plying their wares and asking if you've recently been insulted by your neighbor and their asking to represent you... It is fair game at least in the U.S. that in general conversation of and about lawyers will most often include the descriptive term 'shyster', even though there are many who are not... it is part of the culture and if lawyers in canada and most importantly yourself are not, I humbly apologize and wish you and them well in their practice.

we do both agree that this litigation is a waste of time, and getting personally insulted by broad statements made to a case not involving either of us, probably won't help anything either. ... and if I were in canada and needed representation, then I would know where to look for honest representation! :)

One point that has been forgotten here is that there was a mediator involved between the two sides, and he suggested that the lawyers on both sides should meet to discuss the matter. The Orchidwiz lawyers decided not to participate. It seems that without such assistance and intent by BOTH parties to find a solution that there will not be an amiable result.

Sorry to bring this back here, but I have yet to receive my AOS magazine for OCTOBER!
It used to come around the 7th...over the past few months its been arriving around the 20th. Today is the 26th and I am NOT happy.
I don't know how long I wait before I assume it was lost, or they don't wish to send it to me anymore.
Grrrr.

Sorry to bring this back here, but I have yet to receive my AOS magazine for OCTOBER!
It used to come around the 7th...over the past few months its been arriving around the 20th. Today is the 26th and I am NOT happy.
I don't know how long I wait before I assume it was lost, or they don't wish to send it to me anymore.
Grrrr.

Keep hoping! You're not alone. I'm still waiting for mine too. Curiously though, one AOS judge phoned me to encourage me to renew my subscription for 2011... Hmmmm!

I stopped being a AOS member last year, and have never been happier. "orchids" is not missed. With all due respect to Ed K. i would love to represent Alex, though my specialty is defending those accused of crimes.

I stopped being a AOS member last year, and have never been happier. "orchids" is not missed.

Out of curiosity, why are you happy not being in AOS. Why don't you miss Orchids? I'm curious about your opinion because I'm beginning to feel that AOS doesn't have much to offer anymore.

BTW, I received my October magazine yesterday.

I had a bad experience attending judging a few years ago. I wrote the president and told him about it. To his credit he had the head of judging contact me. A judge claimed the species we brought was actually a hybrid. After a series of emails i was offered the chance to register the "hybrid". the only problem--the cross was registered over a 100 years ago. I took no pleasure in pointing this out to the head of judging as he seemed to be a nice guy. "Orchids" is mostly ads and can be read in less than five minutes.

I will patiently wait for my magazine. In the mean time I will send an email letting them know I am getting annoyed. It seems only fair.

It does seem that "Orchids" has been getting a little limp. I was a little put off by the 5 or so articles about painted leaf orchids. Not that they aren't interesting or have a place in collections -they do & "Orchids" should cover a wide variety of plants & interests. BUT MAN...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I can only handle so much.

It is expensive, and there are problems, but I think we should continue our support and invest ourselves in the organization. I am sure it can be what we all want.

I stopped my membership about 7 years ago. I really liked the "Bulletin" for some of the articles but mostly all the ads in the back. There was so many more vendors it seemed then. I didn't like the new look and the price hike was a real turn off too. THEN, two Christmas ago a rich member of the HOS offered to pay 1/2 of everyone that night at the meeting if they would sign up. There was a big push for AOS membership (it had fallen way off) and AOS was (is) hurting for monies. That was his incentive.
I will probably drop it again.

Back