Anyone seen Phrag Raymond Faroult..?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I have had more time to peruse Olaf Gruss' book, I can certainly recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone who frequents this part of this forum. I find it incredibly helpful to have (for example) all the primary crosses (at the time of publishing) of kovachii shown in photos together in a few pages. Alfredo Manrique is given a definite pride of place, deservedly so. But it is simply a fascinating and very satisfying book, even if one doesn't read German, as it has an emphasis on photos.

I got some more info on this plant from Sue Adams just recently. Turns out that photo of it in Olaf Gruss' book was from Sue, who corresponded with Gruss about this plant. Also, the only other specimen also came from Wyld Court in England about the same time, so the plant I got from Sue was almost certainly a division of the same plant that is also in existence. So as far as I can ascertain, these 2 divisions of Raymond Faroult are the only ones in existence, and may well have survived from before WWI. In other words, they may well be surviving remnants from the original cross which was created in France. To the best of my ability to research the subject, nobody has ever re-made the cross.

All this history is fascinating concerning Phrags. In the
relatively short time I've been growing them, I've found
a great deal of variability regarding color of the same
plants related to season of bloom, temps. and amount
of light and humidity...especially temps. I find that very
interesting and I actually like the variations.

It occurred to me reading through this thread that most
of western Europe has been more or less constantly involved in one war right after another which can explain
the absence of experimentation with hybridization. World
War I begat WWII and several rather local wars in between. Wars kind of stiffle pursuits that don't involve
improvements in weaponry. The U.S. hasn't had much
in the way of carpet bombing that destroyed so much
of Europe during both world wars. I seem to remember
that an enormous and very famous greenhouse was destroyed during the blitz in England.

Anyway, I'm glad you found out about your Phrag. and
I think both variations in color of the blooms quite
beautiful.

Latest posts

Back