Anyone seen Phrag Raymond Faroult..?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could make a stab at it, but was hoping someone might say, oh yes, here is the list on so and so's site... It seems a kind of obviously desirable list.

Very true. If you have OrchidWiz, it will help narrow down the hybrids and species to genus. I took a quick look. There are currently 893 entries in the newest version. If you do not have it, I could take a crack at it in my spare time. Unless someone has one already.

I don't have OrchidWiz, as I seem to recall it is Windows-only, and I'm on a Mac. There are the obvious ones most of us know: Dominianum, Ainsworthii, Grande, etc. But its the one's that have more or less been forgotten that would take the time. Raymond Faroult is a case in point. I suspect nobody on this forum was aware of it as a 19th century cross.

Yes, OrchidWiz is a Windows based application. It can run on an Apple machine and is not a cheap piece of software. But I have found it to be quite worth the cost. I'll start working on putting the hybrids in a spreadsheet and let you know when it is done.

I've nearly compiled the list already, using Phragweb. It could well be incomplete. I can only use OrchidWiz if I install a program that converts my Mac into a Windows machine, and I just don't fancy doing that.

By my count, there are 50 crosses from before WW1. It seemed best to count any cross more than 100 years old, as it seems that the Great War was really much more of a marking point in the hybridising than simply the turning of the century. 50 is the count I got if you consider Ainsworthii and Calurum to be just one cross. If one wants to distinguish these sorts, then it is probably closer to 60. But a very interesting exercise..! Several that have never crossed my radar before, such as Phrag. Gottianum, or Hanischianum, or Elsteadianum; or Eva, or Baconis, Suave, Penelaus or L'Unique. There was so much activity before the War..! Then it all went away for over a generation more or less, and didn't get any head of steam again until besseae was discovered.

Hello Don,

I just read this thread and was thinking I could see if I can create a query in the old PhragWeb database. The database is not up to date but as far as I know most of the old hybrids are in there.
But now I see you have done the same by hand. Must have been a hell of a job.

Let me know if I can still assist you in any way?

All the best,

Rob Z.

I did a quick query in the PhragWeb database and found 71 names up to and including 1906. This includes synonyms.
Than between 1906 and 1975 there where no registrations. After that there where a couple of hybrids registered. Then as Don mentioned after the discovery of Phrag. besseae things got wild again and in 1991 the first hybrids with besseae where registered and the rest is history I guess.

Rob Z.

Hi Rob, great to see you here! It actually didn't take me that long, because you quickly learn who was registering in which period. So you can ignore all the EYOF and others doing so in our era. I reckon it took me 3 hours max. Kind of fun, frankly!

A lesser yet also grand vision would be to have a collection that includes at least one of each of the pre-WWI crosses. Excluding the duplicate ones, it is only about 50 to find. That would be an interesting project, at least for someone in this forum..?

One problem is different hybridizers in different countries did different breeding lines. There are plant from growers, like Franz Glanz, or Allan Tetzlaff, or even EYOF, that we here will never get. :(

Latest posts

Back