Any guesses on the ID?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
I finally got this guy to spike! I originally bought a mini compot of 4 plants back in 1999. Two survived and I'm sure there were set backs along the way but still, this plant is 11 years old! It's supposed to be and I have no evidence otherwise Paph primulinum v. purpurascens. Review the pics and decide for yourselves. Lively comments welcome!

It's my understanding prims have wavy, cuppy leaves as you can see this one does.
p1050319h.jpg

magnified
p1050324u.jpg

Here is a shot of the base of the plant. Everyone likes to see the color. Sorry for the fuzzy image
p1050326m.jpg

Now for what I think is interesting and a bit shocking; its size
(Yes, that is an American quarter)
p1050325y.jpg

This is very interesting....many years ago, I bought a paph in the plant district...it was simple labeled "prim flavum". It looked exactly like this one, minus the red coloring. It also took years to bloom, and was obviously way too large to be primulinum. When it finally bloomed, it turned out to be a primulinum x complex cross...green flowers, actually not bad looking. I forget whether the plant died or was given away. My guess is that's what yours is, primulinum x complex, just with purpurescens as the primulinum parent.

11 years! That had better be some damn nice flower! With foliage like that and the slow growth rate, I'd guess it'a (primulinum v. purpurascens x complex) and that it's a 4n. 'Looking forward to seeing the flower!

Hey Tom. I have no doubt at all that you've seem WAY more of these than I have. So, I'd put my money on your view over mine. I said what I did because the foliage of Rick's plant looks almost "succulent", shiny and solid green. By comparison, my plant has thinner leaves, they have a slight matt finish and there is a fair bit of tesselation. For comparison, here's my plant of var. purpurascens. Is this sort of variation all within the expected range for this species?
100_5496-2.jpg

And a link to a flower photo. http://http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10789&highlight=primulinum

I also haven't seen any var.purpurascens with a plant habit like yours Rick, but I've seen some normal yellow ones like yours (but not with the dark spike coming up.!?!?
Here's a pic of the biggest seedling from a cross between my old var.purp (from Andy's) and Ross's. It's a lot like John's. This one has the widest leaves, but my parent and the other sibs have much narrower leaves. It also has a flat/matt finish to the leaves.

I don't think the amount of purple under the leaves is more than usual for what I've seen for this variety. The leaf span is 8" and its about as big as most blooming size purps.

Back