Quantcast

Surprise spike on Paphiopedilum volonteanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Got this as a birthday present last year, a two-“seedling” compot from Sam at Orchid Inn. I simply could not resist this spectacular foliage even though I’ve heard it’s a difficult species. No idea what I’ve done, maybe this spike was built into the plant already but I’m delightfully shocked. I did repot upon receiving it into Hausermann’s mix, has lived at the back of my humidity-enhancing Wardian case with the other small Paphs and seedling, southeast window. RO/K-Lite each watering, couple applications of KelpMax (thank god for Ray Barkalow’s magic potions), I see that the lowermost leaves are senescing; hope that’s normal. I have heard this is a very challenging plant to bloom so, advice appreciated. It and hookerae have been dreams of mine to see for years. I’m sure I’m just lucky (and the recipient of a quality plant from the amazing Sam Tsui) but hoping you will help me not screw it up. Thank you!

Attachments

Junglejewel

Reaction score
That’s awesome!! My volonteanum is also spiking right now for the first time for me!! I’m so excited!! Ive had mine for 3 years now and this is its first spike!! Yay! Lol mine grows right beside the rest of my Paph’s in a bedroom in a west facing window, humidity around 55-60% during the day, and 40-45% at night, and temps of 64-66 in winter and 78-80 in the summers.