Another slow greenhouse :)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, no, no changes on that side :) I still continue working for the same company in Switzerland... I am living now, just 30 minutes away from my office and not 5 minutes away as in the past :) in other words, I cannot walk to work anymore, but need to take the train or drive...

Kavanaru

Ramon,
I'm looking forward to the day when you get your greenhouse completed. Will you post pictures, please?? I've seen some of your other posts....your plants in Erin Pottery, etc. After reading them, I'm sure all of us can pick up some good ideas.

Good luck...I hope you're enjoying your endeavor.
VickiC

OK, the main reason why this is getting slow is because I have gotten injured (2 disc hernias - one of them is old but was undetected until now) while carrying some of the material... Since we had already started to dig the ground, in order to build the insulated foundations, my partner has continued working on it. Unfortunately, it is holidays season here and also for of those twists of fate it happened that many of our friends have birthdays these days and most of them were having round birthdays and planing big parties since months... which just mean that our friends are either not around or busy busy with their BIG parties, and the help for construction has been scarce... Nevertheless, some friends have helped... One of the thing I wanted most was to build myself the greenhouse for my plants (it has nothing to do with romantic... I just like construction work, digging the ground and landscaping :D), but... I seem to have forgotten I am not a teenager anymore, carried two bags of concrete at the same time... a bad step... and ZAP! I cannot walk since 3 weeks, and we are considering the option of surgery :( at least, I hope to be fine to fill the greenhouse with old and new plants :rollhappy:

so.. the greenhouse will be 4.20m x 5.20m (13.8' x 17'), which translate to 21.8sqm (234.7sqf). 1.7m (5.6') tall on the sides and 2.9m (9.5) tall in the center... insulated aluminum frame and ALLTOP Plexiglass... Temperature goal: 18°C min (64.4F)... most ofthe GH is protected from extrem sunlight by surrounding trees, but allowing enough light even for Cattleyas/Vandas (Actually, I think I will need to add some shade-clothes in summer to part of the GH)

This was the garden in May 2010:

greenhouse 01 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 02 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 03 by kavanaru, on Flickr

some trees were cut down in July...

greenhouse 04 by kavanaru, on Flickr

and digging started inmediately after

greenhouse 05 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 06 by kavanaru, on Flickr

ok, it keeps getting closer :)

finishing the foundation:

greenhouse 27 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 28 by kavanaru, on Flickr

making some place for the insulation

greenhouse 29 by kavanaru, on Flickr

Starting to add the insulation (Styrodur)... pipelines for water and electricity also installed..

greenhouse 30 by kavanaru, on Flickr

We have bought too much Styrodur (little calculation mistake :blushing:, we ended up with 3 times more than needed!)... so, we decided to add a double layer of Styrodur.... yes, actually more than really needed!

greenhouse 31 by kavanaru, on Flickr

Insulation finished

greenhouse 32 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 33 by kavanaru, on Flickr

the metallic "skeleton" is almost ready... it start looking more like a greenhouse now :D

greenhouse 34 by kavanaru, on Flickr

and we even have a door!!! ;)

greenhouse 35 by kavanaru, on Flickr

next weekend: installation of windows (if we manage to convince some friend to help) and ALLTOP Plexyglas....

and finally, all the Plexyglass has been installed...

greenhouse 36 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 37 by kavanaru, on Flickr

and the windows opener too... two manual and two automatic ones...

greenhouse 38 by kavanaru, on Flickr

next steps..
Electricity and water should be done by the end of this week...
Assembling the shelves - should be done by the end of thos week
Moving plants in... hopefully by next week...
Installing the mist blower.. will take a bit longer, as I could not buy it on time due to my illnes...
leveling the outside ground.. not a priority by now (due my illnes) and will be done at a later stage....

Thanks @ all! :)

I think I will need shading inhigh summer, but onl yon about 25% of the GH.... I need to check next summer :)

as for me.. nope... not well yet.. have an appointmet with the neurosurgeon next thursday to check if a surgery will be the solution...

Back