Another slow greenhouse :)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

OK, the main reason why this is getting slow is because I have gotten injured (2 disc hernias - one of them is old but was undetected until now) while carrying some of the material... Since we had already started to dig the ground, in order to build the insulated foundations, my partner has continued working on it. Unfortunately, it is holidays season here and also for of those twists of fate it happened that many of our friends have birthdays these days and most of them were having round birthdays and planing big parties since months... which just mean that our friends are either not around or busy busy with their BIG parties, and the help for construction has been scarce... Nevertheless, some friends have helped... One of the thing I wanted most was to build myself the greenhouse for my plants (it has nothing to do with romantic... I just like construction work, digging the ground and landscaping :D), but... I seem to have forgotten I am not a teenager anymore, carried two bags of concrete at the same time... a bad step... and ZAP! I cannot walk since 3 weeks, and we are considering the option of surgery :( at least, I hope to be fine to fill the greenhouse with old and new plants :rollhappy:

so.. the greenhouse will be 4.20m x 5.20m (13.8' x 17'), which translate to 21.8sqm (234.7sqf). 1.7m (5.6') tall on the sides and 2.9m (9.5) tall in the center... insulated aluminum frame and ALLTOP Plexiglass... Temperature goal: 18°C min (64.4F)... most ofthe GH is protected from extrem sunlight by surrounding trees, but allowing enough light even for Cattleyas/Vandas (Actually, I think I will need to add some shade-clothes in summer to part of the GH)

This was the garden in May 2010:

greenhouse 01 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 02 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 03 by kavanaru, on Flickr

some trees were cut down in July...

greenhouse 04 by kavanaru, on Flickr

and digging started inmediately after

greenhouse 05 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 06 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 08 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 10 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 12 by kavanaru, on Flickr

Digging work is over, and the first layer of concrete has been added (to even all the ground out). Now wait for it to dry out, before continuing

greenhouse 19 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 13 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 15 by kavanaru, on Flickr

yes, everything made by hand.. like in old times... because de garden is pretty higher than the street, and teh only access is a rather small stairway, it was not possible to bring any machines to the garden. Even the construction material has been lifted by hand from teh street to the garden...

Vista desde la calle by kavanaru, on Flickr

A la calle by kavanaru, on Flickr

To be Continued...

Great work Ramón. Is this your house on top of the hill?

Yeap, but only the appartment in the middle.. The house was divided in 3 appartments. The large garden has been divided in 4... we own two of them: the front one, with a fantastic view over the city, and one on the backside, where the GH is being built...

'Looks like it's going to be wonderful! What a lot of work, though! You must LOVE your plants! LOL! Take good care of yourself.....You don't need any chronic pain or physical limitations as a result of this project.

I can't imagine digging that trench by hand in the hard sandy/gravelly soil we have. Did you have to dig down past the frost line? It's 3' here, so a trench would need to be 4' deep.

The digging and foundation is the slowest part, and I think the least rewarding.

Once your base is in the the rest should go much faster ????? Unless it sits in my backyard for 2 years.:poke:

Now what? Cinder blocks built up on the footer? What are you going to do with all that dirt in the middle of the GH?

Yesterday, we (ok, ok, I was just watching the work from the balcony) finished the foundation wall... next step, insulate with Styrodur, refill the ground, and start building (need to recruit some people to help)

I can't imagine digging that trench by hand in the hard sandy/gravelly soil we have. Did you have to dig down past the frost line? It's 3' here, so a trench would need to be 4' deep.

Yeap! we had to go 1m (3.2') deep... However, the garden was not even, and I will need to fill some sides of the GH in order to have the foundation 1m underground everywhere..

Now what? Cinder blocks built up on the footer? What are you going to do with all that dirt in the middle of the GH?

Will be used to even the ground in the GH out, and also to fill the garden outside of the GH.

Some further pics:

greenhouse 23 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 24 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 25 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 27 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 28 by kavanaru, on Flickr

The metallic frame for the basis, just waiting its turn to be fixed on the foundation...

greenhouse 26 by kavanaru, on Flickr

Next steps: insulate with Styrodur, installing water and electricity supplies, evening the ground in and outside of the GH, building the GH... let's see, when the work can be re-started again....

Wow - that looks like you have a great start and it also looks like a TON of work! It'll be great when you're done.

e-spice

Thanks @ all! indeed, lots of work...

Er, did you buy this house?
part of it ;) the house is divided in 3 different appartments (1 per floor), each one with its own garden (in my case two gardens: front of the house and side garden).

Latest posts

Back