Another slow greenhouse :)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful progress on the GH!!!
Unfortunately I haven't known anyone to recover quickly from herniated discs but there are sometimes different procedures available in Europe than the U.S., so we'll keep our fingers crossed!

Wonderful progress on the GH!!!
Unfortunately I haven't known anyone to recover quickly from herniated discs but there are sometimes different procedures available in Europe than the U.S., so we'll keep our fingers crossed!

well, me neither :( herniated discs are nothing you can recover very quick from.. in Europe the procedures are the same as in the USA in this case.. about 95% of the cases are healed without surgery... the rest needs to be operated and you have two options: open back or micro-surgery.. recovery from micro-surgery is faster, but still pretty long... which procedure is used, depends on the hospital, as not all of them can perform micro-surgery...

thanks for the good wishes! :)

Your greenhouse looks so new.....it's wonderful! I bet you can't wait to start using it. I'm impressed with the amount of work and preparation you put into the foundation and insulation. You'll be glad that you did that right.

Your health problems are a real bummer. So sorry that you've got this to deal with during what should be a really fun time for you with your new growing space. Take care and make sure that you fully recover. In the long run of course, it will be worth the inconvenience you have now.

Last edited:
ok... since last post here, my prolems withthe disc hernias have not gotten much better, and I will be having a surgery next wednesday morning... somehow a routine surgery, in which the hernia will be extracted. Luckily the main hernia is located in a very accesible place, and therefore the surgery will no be very invasive... the very next day I should be walking, and in 4 or 5 days I should be back at home :)

however, during this time the greenhouse has seen some improvement and my plants have just moved in... right timing, as temps started to go down very quick these last days here (night temps around 5-7°C / 41 - 44F). Funnily, all these days before moving the plants in, it has been a bit cloudy, and also the big birch was giving enough protection.. as soon as the plants were moved in, we had 4 very sunny days and the birch had lost all leave few days before. Result, temps inside went up to 37°C (98F) during the day and some plants got sunburned :( I had to quickly find out where to buy some shade clothes and let them be installed...

building the benches

greenhouse 39 by kavanaru, on Flickr

first plants move in. well, not orchids, but desert plants.. yes, I know, and now they are not in the GH anymore ;) that's the problem when your friends are botanist: they are informed you have a greenhouse and give you a fantastic present: RARE PLANTS! I am not sure yet where toput them... maybe a windowsill in the house

greenhouse 40 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 41 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 42 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 43 by kavanaru, on Flickr

Of course, living in France we had celebrate with Champagne that the greenhouse was ready to receive the plants (ok, heating system installation was still needed, but that was just plugging in the heaters) :)
Celebration by kavanaru, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Plants have been moved in, and at this point I had to ask my partner to go downstairs and take some pics for me... Hernia pain has been to strong these last days, and am very limited in my walking capabilities :(

greenhouse 44 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 45 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 46 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 47 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 48 by kavanaru, on Flickr

greenhouse 49 by kavanaru, on Flickr

still some space to fill in :D but a lot less than what I had expected :( however, I think it is a matter of reorganizing the placement of the plants ;) I will do it after my surgery...

yippee!
looking great!
hope the surgery and recovery are quick and easy and relatively pain free!

:drool::drool::drool:BEAUUUTIFUL! What nice benches!
Good luck with the surgery, let's celebrate when it's all behind you!

Great show Ramon. If that is your shadecloth and it is green, you may what to look into a different color. The green wavelengh of light is what you what in not blocked out. Keep us updated on this and your back.

Thanks @ all :) it is indeed very bright, more than what I was expecting, and also very well insulated too...

Great show Ramon. If that is your shadecloth and it is green, you may what to look into a different color. The green wavelengh of light is what you what in not blocked out. Keep us updated on this and your back.

I know... but it was an urgent temporary solution :) I need to take care of it after my surgery... this green cloth is the only thing I could find online....

actually, the green clothes mainly let green light go through and block the other wavelengths... rthe problem, is that you not only want green light, as your plants also need red light for a complete photosynthesis... that's why you play with cold and hot light fluorescent tubes when growing indodr under light... the best for shading is a neutral cloth, e.g. a metallic net for example would let light only through the mesh and block part of it.

Latest posts

Back