another problem lip

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably weird ploidy aneuploidy chromosome count doesn't know what to do with the extra tissue.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I've seen the same thing (or something akin to) happen a few times - and haven't been able to crack the code or solve the enigma?

I find it especially mysterious, when it happens among the multiflorals, e.g. my recent St.Swithin, where the first flower to open had a slight 'horn'/'dentation' on the labellum, which is completely absent in the other 3 flowers; or suddenly in one flower among the succesive flowers of a plant in section cochlopetalum, e.g. my P. victoria-mariae (that are flowering in the "cooler section" on my back stairs at home): after several perfectly formed flowers...suddenly a dentation on the lip...the next flowers again no sight of such a thing? I can't exactly remember, but maybe the dentation showed up a little while after the use of an insectiside to kill off a light invasion of mealy bugs?

Despite the addition of a horn its a really nice, coloured hybrid hopefully next flowering it will be a stunner.

Latest posts

Back