Aerangis luteo-alba v. rhodostica

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous, Dot! I prefer the second photo, limiting the focus to the foreground looks less cluttered and better emphasizes key floral and spike features. The first does appeal to my sense of curiosity by providing more info about nearby plants and your growing space, but that seems ancillary if your primary goal is documenting your Aerangis.

The first one. It is more like the human eye would see it, more details, more depth. But most of all I like these plants! I think I should trey Aerangis again. Little and very charming plants. Thanks for sharing.

I like the second better. I like the shorter depth of field, but moreover I like the slight difference in placement of objects - it renders a more natural looking picture. The wire for instance is burred, while in the first photo it is disturbingly distinct. Ditto with the white labels in the background.

In fact the human eye does not see things in focus all at once, especially close up. Rather just one focal point is selected at a time.

The 2nd one for me too.

This is maybe my favourite Aerangis. Unfortunately I can´t see this species as frequently as I would like to.

Thanks for the photos, Dot.

number one.
love depth of field.
Throwing out the focus in the background helps when the background is distracting or irrelevant - its neither in this case. Its more flowers of the same plant. Should be in focus if possible.

For me, number one.
The flowers in the back are still in their prime. No need to hide/disguise them.

Wondering why this didn't make it to the photographer's corner of the green house.
Black felt no good, for white flowers with red noses?

First one. This is a wonderful species not often seen and you have a spectacular display of flowers - the depth of field allows the photo to show them all off!
This is my favorite species of orchid and I have difficulty keeping it alive for longer than a year or two. Is yours mounted on cork?
Thanks,
Tracey

Not sure which I prefer. Here's a thought; send the plant to me, I will take some pictures, and see which ones YOU like...:rollhappy:

First photo. As said earlier gives a more 3D effect and shows off the plant in all its glory better. The red button in center really draws your eye to all the flowers. But I am somewhat biased by my eyesight which now requires reading glasses. So generally photos like number 2 bother me more.

For me, number one.
The flowers in the back are still in their prime. No need to hide/disguise them.

Wondering why this didn't make it to the photographer's corner of the green house.
Black felt no good, for white flowers with red noses?
I just felt like doing something different, Clark. I was walking by, camera in hand, and it just begged me to photograph it right then and there.
First one. This is a wonderful species not often seen and you have a spectacular display of flowers - the depth of field allows the photo to show them all off!
This is my favorite species of orchid and I have difficulty keeping it alive for longer than a year or two. Is yours mounted on cork?
Thanks,
Tracey
It's just a chunk of wood that was there when I bought it several years ago. It probably needs to be re-mounted.
I prefer the 2nd pic.

Dot, how many leaves has your plant? And how long are the biggest leaf?
I'm not in the greenhouse now, so I'll guess: 5 leaves, the longest is about 4 inches. I'll check it tomorrow, and If I guessed wrong, I'll post the correction.
Not sure which I prefer. Here's a thought; send the plant to me, I will take some pictures, and see which ones YOU like...:rollhappy:
:rollhappy: Good one, Fred! :wink:

Thanks for all your opinions and explanations -- very interesting and informative.

I like the first one better. All of the lovely flowers are in focus and my old eyes need all the help they can get, however, I do like both shots.
:rollhappy: me too, for all the same reasons!
Photo #2 supporters have good points, any way you look at it, it's such a cool species!
Well done Dot! Growin' & shootin'!

Latest posts

Back