A lotta purple..!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
Some non-slipper blooms to share... :D
2 phals that I left out of the previous phal thread..:

Phal. Coral Isles.Gelblieber.violacea? (thats what the tag says. :confused: Anyone can help me out?)
IMG_6824.jpg

Doritaenopsis New Queen Beer - looks like a very much improved doritis pulcherrima with excellent branching from phal equestris..?
IMG_6838.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

Papilionanthe Miss Joaquim (hookeriana x teres):
IMG_6893.jpg

Papilionanthe Amy (hookeriana x tricuspidata) - I've shown this one before, but I absolutely love the funky shaped flowers... :p Sort of a semi-sequential bloomer.
IMG_6848.jpg

Not purple, but an updated pic of Phal Caribbean Sunset with 3 blooms:
IMG_6827.jpg

I'd love to see more pics of the Papilionanthe. Something we never see here. I've only seen pics of whole beds of them in Singapore. Must be a sight to see in person! Do you have full plant pics? Are they yours?

The first one is Lea Marie Salazar (Buena Jewel x Coral Isles), Buena Jewel is violacea x Gelblieber.

The papis are my favorites because that's something I can't grow here.

The Doritaenopsis New Queen Beer is a knock-out.

Thanks David. I agree too. :D The actual colour is darker than in the pic.

The first one is Lea Marie Salazar (Buena Jewel x Coral Isles), Buena Jewel is violacea x Gelblieber.

Thanks, suss16... :)

How do you grow the Papilionathe???

Thanasis, these babies need a LOT, a LOT of sun... I really can't stress how much. And they love to eat too. :D I feed them sheep dung pellets, alternated with high phosphorus fertiliser spray. Nearly all of them come from swamps, so they like being watered heavily. The roots even grow into the water in my water lily pond beside them..! I have to chop them in half every year, lest they get too high and topple over. That makes for a denser display of blooms.

Papilionanthe!

Sorry for the late reply, guys.. Forgot to recharge the camera... Ok, brace yourselves for the amazing genus papilionanthe... :p

Papilionanthe in their 'natural habitat' - hot, moist (humidity fluctuates quite a bit sometimes) and windy)
IMG_6930.jpg

P. Miss Joaquim 'Agnes' - the stem with flowers was shooting towards the sky, I just lopped it off and replanted it at the base:
IMG_6935.jpg

Cut stems give rise to offshoots rapidly:
IMG_6938.jpg

These babies grow masses and masses of aerial roots that stick everywhere!
IMG_6942.jpg

Papilionanthe Amy:
IMG_6944.jpg

Latest acquisition, Papilionanthe Poepoe 'Diana' - large pristine white flowers which bloom successively on the spike (2-4 blooms at a time):
IMG_6972.jpg

Side view showing 180 degree twisting of petals which is peculiar to almost all Papilionanthe:
IMG_6974.jpg

A bit more purple

2 noID pretty cheap minicatts - bought sometime this year but did not manage to rebloom until now because they were put in a tad shady position:
IMG_6922.jpg

Not the most desirable shape, I know, but the perfume is sweet and delicious.. :)

Latest posts

Back