A Few of the Awards From the St Paul Winter Carnival Orchid Show

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Little Bright Eyes the same one as last year here?
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24645

Interesting how the pink comes out of the brown and green of the Mary Zdilla cross (but then, there is pink in the tyke?).

In my reading and in talks with breeders I've learned that niveum can suppress the green/yellow pigments in a flower. If you take away the yellow/green from brown, you can get brushed reds and pinks. Niveum also tends to "smear" the color, at least on the petals. Obviously, neither effect is 100% on any particular flower, giving the variation we see. As I once said, "Breeding orchids is like wood sculpting with a shotgun."

Beautiful, all of them! My favourite is the Mary Zdilla x (charlesworthii x Mem George Benedict)...

The green dorsal is actually a deeper, more vibrant green than the the photo shows. I've had quite a variation in this cross, with a couple having impressive dorsal sepals. So far the petals have been quite thin on all that have bloomed.

beer1k.gif

No, this is a different one that has similar intensity of color. Some have been a little darker, and one was more white.

I see the "more white" pic is the pic on your website for selling this cross. I'm delighted to learn that it's a "miniature hybrid," but saddened to see that it's "temporarily unavailable." When will this cross be available again?

Latest posts

Back