• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

20 plant compots

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been looking on the internet for orchid compots and haven't found a lot of compots available in this size range (15-30 seedlings in compot). Anyone have some compots in this size range, or know where I can get some? (I'll call you sunday, R...)
Well-known places I've tried that don't have them large enough (compot size too small) include Meyers Conservatory, Hausermann's doesn't list compots, Orchidview, Carmela's didn't have a whole lot... I may be doing a compotting clinic first weekend of this february so would need them right away. I did find a place down in florida; royal orchid club, but am looking for all options and if someone here has nice things available would be nice to start here first.

Clark, you have a big compot of those angraecum's that you bought from Pete? Probably all potted up and too big for this, I guess... I'm looking to get a mix of different genera, whatever is available

btw I did an extensive google search and ebay surprisingly had almost no compots, even in the stores

thanks,
charles

Troy may not have something already established in a compot, but doesn't he have a bunch of stuff in the works getting deflasked? That all gets divided up into lots of about 25 plants.

You might also give Olympic (or Olympia) orchids a call. They pick up a lot of Troys stuff coming out of flask, and get it potted up.

I would offer though that compots (with plants and media) are hard to package and ship with out the whole thing turning into a big mess. Troy does low density compots with sphagnum, and can actually pack them to survive a shipping event. It's almost impossible to pack a tray of multiple plants in our loose bark type medias and run it through shipping without it coming to you as a big mess of bare root seedlings and media.

So you may increase your odds significantly of getting a couple dozen seedlings sent bare root for you to pot yourself rather than established compots.

Call Hausermann's. They almost always have Phal compots ready to pot up. They might even have some basic choices of white, pink, semi-alba, or novelty? If no compots, they sometimes do phals too big for thier britches- 2.5" pots busting, ready for 3-4". Well, you also mention "compotting clinic" so do you need flasks to compot up??? Again, H'mann's could fix you up. I'd ask for Lynn or Joel. Good luck!

Hi Charles,

i think that compots are not being used as growing format, most people
are growing in plugtrays , that way each plant has it's own growing space
and roots don't get entangled, this way they can grow an individual plant ready to be shifted up in 3" pots
i think the only people still making compots are Paph growers
hope this usefull for you
kindest regards
cliokchi:)

I've been looking on the internet for orchid compots and haven't found a lot of compots available in this size range (15-30arles seedlings in compot). Anyone have some compots in this size range, or know where I can get some? (I'll call you sunday, R...)
Well-known places I've tried that don't have them large enough (compot size too small) include Meyers Conservatory, Hausermann's doesn't list compots, Orchidview, Carmela's didn't have a whole lot... I may be doing a compotting clinic first weekend of this february so would need them right away. I did find a place down in florida; royal orchid club, but am looking for all options and if someone here has nice things available would be nice to start here first.

Clark, you have a big compot of those angraecum's that you bought from Pete? Probably all potted up and too big for this, I guess... I'm looking to get a mix of different genera, whatever is available

btw I did an extensive google search and ebay surprisingly had almost no compots, even in the stores

thanks,
charles

Hello Charles.
My order from Pete will be plug tray. Let me know if your interested.
I only need/want 10, but the price was perfect.
Don't have yet, and hope shipping is delayed another month due to temps.

Bigleaf has 41 choices of compots on website, I am clueless what the counts are.

i've checked most of the places mentioned; i'm going to be calling someone from the forum tomorrow who may have some paph compots so will wait on the paph suppliers. Clark, I'd need the plants before the end of this month, or else I'd take you up on it :)
due to the quick nature of the need for seedlings, something in flask right now probably wouldn't be able to harden in the week or so before we had out 'potting out of compot' clinic.
i'll check on the others, thanks!

Latest posts

Back