12th International Slipper Orchid Symposium - Photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for sharing. WOW! What an experience it must have been for the folks lucky enough to be there!! I bet no one wanted to leave the greenhouses. The paphs and phals were enormous!! And the landscaping was so lush and fit for royalty! You took great pictures. Thanks again!

I thought I might add to the comments on the symposium. I have gone for the last 8 years and I think this one had the best presentations. Theresa gave a great over view of her breeding program and it was hard to believe, given the quality of her plants, that she has only been into complex breeding for six years.
Sam's overview of the history of leucochilum breeding was well thought out and incredibly insightful in seeing the progression of line breeding through out the world. I will admit that the highlight of the day was hearing Harold Koopowitz tell the history of tropical lady slippers as he saw it. He was in the thick of it for a very long time and his insight and side comments on the events and the players involved were priceless. It was perhaps one of the most engaged moments of my slipper obsessed life! Thanks to all who made it happen and see you in Tampa next year.
Rob

I agree w/Rob - the presentations were first class. I took tons of notes and learned lots, as I had hoped to do. Had some chuckles as well - the atmosphere was casual, relaxed and friendly. I'll be back...

Todd - nope, brought no plants back, though it pained me not to be able to buy anything. All of the vendors had such delicious offerings and there was also a plant auction at Krull-Smith's on the Saturday night. I just don't know enough about the CITES regulations yet, and I didn't want to risk losing everything at the border. Perhaps next year, but I'm pretty sure it would mean that the vendors would have to provide CITES export permits for us Canadians to bring stuff back.

Todd - nope, brought no plants back, though it pained me not to be able to buy anything. Perhaps next year, but I'm pretty sure it would mean that the vendors would have to provide CITES export permits for us Canadians to bring stuff back.

If I go next year I'll get your plants to CA.

Joanne I'm sorry to say I don't recall meeting you. Did we talk? If not I'm ashamed of both of us. I'll be there next year. I pre-ordered so had lots to bring home. With Hillsview, I just gave her a set amount of money and let her to the picking. She gave me more then I should have got and one of them was a hugh plant in spike. I've been hooked since the first time I attended.

OMG, that's hilarious Bob. I introduced myself to you on Friday night and shook your hand. I think you and Hadley were picking Barbara Tisherman up to go for supper. You have red hair in a ponytail, right?

Check out my photo in the Redux thread - look familiar? (I am waaaay cuter in person. :rollhappy: )

Eric - :ninja:

Oh, now I remember. Sorry about that. All of Friday was a blurr. After flying in we barley got to the room then had a message to pick up Barbara and Hadley had hoped to set up that night. Then I was trying to check out the other vendors plants before they opened on Sat. Once again sorry about that. Then again there is some confusion about the name Eric and Joanne. You got me on that.

We're planning a trip to JP's asap so...:ninja:

With Hillsview, I just gave her a set amount of money and let her to the picking. She gave me more then I should have got and one of them was a hugh plant in spike. I've been hooked since the first time I attended.
Do you have her latest hand-out/catalog?

Well, if I'd been able to buy, there wouldn't be much left. Theresa's plants were spectacular. Big hulking healthy things. Next time. :D

Back