Paph. helenae 'Charlie'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
Here's this year's effort from my tiny Paph. helenae 'Charlie'. Last year it had just one flower. This year a second flower is about 3 weeks behind the first. This little guy is the very definition of "Cute as Hell!" The leafspan of the largest growth is less than 3". It's growing in a 2.5" wide, 7oz, clear, plastic cup.

34437.jpg

34436.jpg

Thank you very much everyone. No, 'Charlie' is not an aureum. There is lots of rich mahogany accents; but, the yellow background is quite intense and eye catching. 'Charlie' not only has handsome form; but, he's a bit of a "super-coloratum" too!

"FCC/fibre".......LOL! Thank you!

Mike, the flower in the photos has already been relieved of it's pollen. The 2 photos are about 2+ weeks old. The bud in the back is open now......and it's been crossed with another helenae. That flower's pollen is being left in place because this plant has previously had trouble setting a capsule; but, in that failed previous attempt (last year), the pollinia had been removed from the flower shortly before the pollen from another flower was put onto it. In that case, the flower dropped and the ovary just dried up.

So, this year I'm leaving the pollinia in place, in the hopes that by not removing it, the flower will be happier and accept the pollen from the other plant. Some flowers just don't like when their pollen is removed and they won't successfully be fertilized after that....or, they just die and drop shortly after their pollen was taken. When the flower falls naturally, I can then salvage pollen for you, if you think it would still be good. When the time comes, I'll PM you and we can talk about this.

Last edited:
That one is cute like hell. Very rich colours and the petals spread out nicely. Petal width is by far the widest I've seen.
It is a beauty and should be a very useful breeder.

the colour of this one is very special so is the shape! I don't know if it's the kind I prefer but definitely a keeper!

Thanks again everyone. Rick: No, I got 3 clones, 2 of them as unbloomed seedlings and one with the clonal name 'Golden Boy'. So, I presume that it had bloomed before I got it...or it was a small division from a larger plant. It is certainly good enough to warrant having a clonal name; but, it's not as good as 'Charlie'. I had no idea of the quality of any of them when I got them. I just got lucky. I've bloomed 2 of them so far ('Charlie' and 'Golden Boy'); but, the third one had a leaf span of only about 1 inch when I got it. It is growing now and getting bigger. So, maybe I'll see it bloom in just a couple years.

Latest posts

Back