Flasks: Update on my activities

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjorn

Reaction score
I have installed a new light for my flasks, this is the sulphur plasma lamp that produces a light very close to sunlight. That is continous spectrum and similar distribution as sunlight. pls. pay attention to the colors. here a wiev from outside the grow-box.

Inside the grow-box, the deflasked plants are in mini-greenhouses to control(increase) humidity but also to restrict possible cross-contamination. Now it is full with 10 mini-greenhouses. A total of approximately 25 flasks reside in here, most of them received in the beginning of April.

"old and new" Left, Stonei deflasked in early October 2012, middle 5 plants of Stonei album deflasked early April 2013, right armeniacum deflasked early October 2012.

micranthum album, the poor pale things with the horrendous price seems to do fine. Deflasked in April 2013. White stuff is dolomite - no harm :D In front one of the roths, probably 'New BearxTiger'

Helenae album, deflasked in October 2012. in the back micranthum eburneum deflased at the same time. Sorrry for blurred pic. Nice growth though.

"Last man standing" the survivors out of a flask of tigrinums not much has changed but they seem to survive and perhaps even grow? top picture from end of March 2013 the nlower from end of May(May30)

In the same flat I have some randsii as well. Slow grower but seem good. These are as are the tigrinums from a deflasking done in early March 2012.

Thats it for now, all in all I am quite happy with the set-up and the growth. Time will show how the remaining plants do.

Wau! Wauuu!! Wauuuuuu!!!!!
Stunning!
Good to see another perfectionist for a change...

Wau!!!

Your mini-ghouses, are they open on the bottom to allow drainage or solid and hold water? What percent of organic to in-oraganic is your mix? I see lots of rocks in some and maybe not so much in others.

Your mini-ghouses, are they open on the bottom to allow drainage or solid and hold water? What percent of organic to in-oraganic is your mix? I see lots of rocks in some and maybe not so much in others.

Of course they have holes in the bottom. Quite easy to make with a soldering iron. The basis is the old mix of Lance Birk, but for some species I use massive amounts of marble chips additionally. Typical for stonei, micranthum (not the album) but some lime there as well (tricky depends on provenance) vietnamense is an shining example (in the other thread on vietynamense) but not all paphs. e.g. roth is not good in the marble mix. Armeniacum does better without marble etc.

excellent setup and even better choices for the paphs chosen in it. Good job!

well done.
how do you control the temperature?

Thermostats, and timers. Temp normally some 18-28 C night/day. Indoors in a room that does not get too hot. Remember where I live, last years max was 24.5C!!!!
For one day!!!!!!!
B

Thermostats, and timers. Temp normally some 18-28 C night/day. Indoors in a room that does not get too hot. Remember where I live, last years max was 24.5C!!!!
For one day!!!!!!!
B

Sorry, I meant what heating method?
It occassionally gets up to that mid-winter where I live!!!:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:

They look good. Sulphur plasma is still quite expensive, isn't it? It looks like that you have grow box, and the lamp is sitting on top of the box. It sounds like you don't have any heat problems. I'm also near the arctic, and I have to use a grow tent for humidity. My 4x2x5 feet tent can get too much heat with 4 bulb 4 feet T5HO inside of the grow tent when we have a heat wave (meaning >25C)...

The lamps are outside the box so not much heat is transferred. Also, the sulphur plasma unit is a bit like LED, having the heat on the back- side so that it is able to dissipate into the room. Plants can therefore grow pretty close to the light source. That has not been the case for me, distribution of light has been a bigger issue. The sulfur lamp is expensive, some 1000USD for a 300w unit, and Frankly, I have no proof that it makes a big difference. getting as close as possible to real light cannot be bad though;)
Below the plants I have a number of electric heat sources (4) as well as a heat-mat. All connected to thermostats. The heat sources are low wattage some 100-200w each and there are two small fans continously distributing the heat. Particularly when the box is as packed as it is now, the fans are important.

Back