Cross Madame Martinet with ... ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reivilos

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I've got a paph Madame Martinet
with 2 buds. Which cross would
you recommend (except Darling)?
Thanks,
Olivier

I could only find two registered crosses
with species:
Sachet: (T. Root) x fairrieanum
Pink Powder Puff: x Greyi
No pic unfortunately.

I could only find two registered crosses
with species:
Sachet: (T. Root) x fairrieanum
Pink Powder Puff: x Greyi
No pic unfortunately.

I think a cross should be something new, so I wouldn't go with the godefroyae at all as greyii is mostly godefroyae. Perhaps a different Brachy like concolor? Or perhaps something really interesting like using Paph Hellas?

Hellas x delenatii gave us lovely flowers like Maisie Gay:

Who can guess how the callosum will influence the progeny from such a cross?

For a Brachy, I would try niveum as it tends to spread red into a nice pink blush in some circumstances. Or you could try back crossing it to delenatii in the hopes of improving the form. One other possibility is to use a good quality complex red. Orchids, Limited has a similar old cross made by Vacherot and Lecoufle, Paph Atlantinet = Atlantis x Madame Martinet, which they then used to make Paph Pink Atlantis. You could perhaps contact Jason or Robert (Drorchid) to see if they have a picture. Here's a picture of a Paph Pink Atlantis = Atlantinet x Blanche Sawyer that I bought from Orchids, Limited a few years ago.

PaphAlantinettxBlancheSawyer-1_zps6a352d5a.jpg

Here you go:

Here is a picture of Paph Atlantinet:

PaphAntoinetPinkAtlantisclose11252002_zps86622196.jpg

And here is one of our Paph. Pink Atlantis; this one turned out more pink in color than the seedling of Ross, but I think his was better shaped:

PaphPinkAtlantis12222009-1_zpsd6675da1.jpg

Robert

Today's the day. I slit open the shrivelling 7-month-old capsule of barbatum x Mme Martinet and found this:

P1070956.JPG

I've located paph Atlantis at last. Let's the game begin!

Back