Mold Recovery on Deflaskig

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlosaw

Reaction score
Just got some of my cattleya flasks back from Orchid Origins. One of my flasks came back with some mold and the roots are kind of spongy. See pics.

Wondering if anyone has experience with mitigating this and having success keeping seedlings alive. I was thinking of doing a hydrogen peroxide rinse and maybe some cinnamon dust.🤷🏼‍♀️

I have 4 more flasks of this cross (Allen kondo x blossfeldiana) so I can play some games with this one.

I do most of my flasking with Shane and his work is great. He didn’t charge me for this one either which was nice. Highly recommended.

Thanks y’all.
Jeremy

Attachments

• IMG_5929.jpeg
    IMG_5929.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5931.jpeg
    IMG_5931.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Soak in a probiotic solution - for example, Quantum-Total at 2 ounces/gallon, immersing the plants for about an hour before potting them up, then mist them a couple of times a day for about a week.

Cool. I will give that a try.

Just put an order in. Been meaning to try your stuff for a while anyway.

Ill let you know how it goes.

Cheers.
Jeremy

@Ray I am going to give this a try tomorrow morning. When you recommend "immersing" are you suggesting submerging them?

Thanks

Yes, let them soak to get as "infected" with beneficial bacteria as possible. Don't rinse afterward, but let them dry after potting them up.

Yes, let them soak to get as "infected" with beneficial bacteria as possible. Don't rinse afterward, but let them dry after potting them up.
Ok… off we go..

Before and during pics

Attachments

• IMG_5977.jpeg
    IMG_5977.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5978.jpeg
    IMG_5978.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Let them dry and potted up. Here goes nothing!

Attachments

• IMG_6004.jpeg
    IMG_6004.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I'm all for the probiotics (I usually use it for deflasking and it works), but I'd bet that they'd do fine without. The mold is feeding on the medium, not the plants. Once you wash that medium off and change the environment it will go away.

I've grown out flasks without washing the agar off at all (long ago), seemed to work... Not my preferred method now, although I still don't try very hard to get all the flasking medium off. Just most of it. I wouldn't leave plants in flask for a long time with contamination, but I think they do fine once potted up. You'll know soon enough.

Ahh, good to know.

Yeah, it seemed like the color came back to the roots once they dried. Going to keep these in low light for a bit and see how they go.

I have done many catts from flask and grown to maturity. Only thing I had zero success with was dendrophyllax lindenii.. But I don't think I should get points off for that.🤪

Latest posts

Back