Paphiopedilum Hung Sheng Venus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie11

Reaction score
This is a cross between Paph. venustum alba x charlesworthii alba. It is a first time bloom so it is a little deformed but still quite pretty none the less.

HungShengVenus.jpg

2012-08-22082619.jpg

2012-08-22082447.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering about that too. On the picture it was more green and cream but this one is more colourful. I have both the alba forms of this cross so maybe I should have a go at making it myself.

It's attractive but the parents can't have been true albums.

Not true, the parents very well could have been alba. As others have stated before, there are many genes, and likely epigenetis interactions, that result albinism and they are most often different in different species. Crossing two albas of the same species is more likely to result in albinistic offspring than two albas of different species. There's so much left to learn about how genes result in distinct phenotypes that it's mind boggling!

Not true, the parents very well could have been alba. As others have stated before, there are many genes, and likely epigenetis interactions, that result albinism and they are most often different in different species. Crossing two albas of the same species is more likely to result in albinistic offspring than two albas of different species. There's so much left to learn about how genes result in distinct phenotypes that it's mind boggling!
Thanks for the tip but on the website that this came from there was a picture of what it was that you would be getting and the picture was not like this. I wonder why it happens that the website have one version of a plant but yet yours looks nothing like it when it blooms?

http://www.shop.schwerter-orchideenzucht.de/product_info.php?products_id=4114

Thanks for the tip but on the website that this came from there was a picture of what it was that you would be getting and the picture was not like this. I wonder why it happens that the website have one version of a plant but yet yours looks nothing like it when it blooms?

Hi Susie, as others have stated before. There will be differences among clones (individual plants) because of genetic diversity. If you look closely on the picture in the website. They didn't bloom as a pure album as well. Albeit more greens on their plant than yours. It could have been very well be lighting.

Anyway, Its a nice plant and chubby looking. I like it and congrats.

Hi Susie, as others have stated before. There will be differences among clones (individual plants) because of genetic diversity. If you look closely on the picture in the website. They didn't bloom as a pure album as well. Albeit more greens on their plant than yours. It could have been very well be lighting.

Anyway, Its a nice plant and chubby looking. I like it and congrats.
Yes there is a slight difference in the two but I still think that this one is perfect - in my eyes anyway. I have seen some that are basically orange looking and I was worried that this one might turn out like that but luckily it has a more greenish hue to it than those ones. I am looking forward to seeing two spikes on her next time round.

Nice plant congrats on that one

Thank you very much.

Not true, the parents very well could have been alba. As others have stated before, there are many genes, and likely epigenetis interactions, that result albinism and they are most often different in different species. Crossing two albas of the same species is more likely to result in albinistic offspring than two albas of different species. There's so much left to learn about how genes result in distinct phenotypes that it's mind boggling![/QUOTE))

I don't entirely agree. For a plant to be a true albino, and advertised/implied as such, it should carry no genes for anthocyanin. It should flower without 'colour'.
I would expect disclosure if there was any doubt about the ability of the progeny to be true albinos. ( I dont know what the seller was claiming in this case). That's what people are paying for and expecting. The parents may have been pale but not true albinos.
Similar doubt have been raised before with 'albino' paphs - stonei 'alba' comes to mind from a previous thread I recall.
F2+ Line bred albinos should be more reliable.

The plant on the website is not an albino, its just pale. The flowering plant shown at the start of the thread clearly has red leaf pigmentation. If it was purchased as a seedling showing colour it should not have been claimed as an albino or at least divulged that the seedling would not flower albino.

Very nice bloom!
Regarding the coloration, I thought that there was no such thing as a venustum album because all the plants have dark spots present on the petals near the staminode.

I don't entirely agree. For a plant to be a true albino, and advertised/implied as such, it should carry no genes for anthocyanin. It should flower without 'colour'.
I would expect disclosure if there was any doubt about the ability of the progeny to be true albinos. ( I dont know what the seller was claiming in this case). That's what people are paying for and expecting. The parents may have been pale but not true albinos.
Similar doubt have been raised before with 'albino' paphs - stonei 'alba' comes to mind from a previous thread I recall.

Really? I don't know that I'd insist on all possible genes in the color pathway to be broken to call something a true albino... Let us assume there are only two enzymes involved in red pigment formation pathway (almost certainly untrue). A -> B -> C. Where A is some substrate, C is pigment, and the arrows represent enzymes. You get an albino by breaking the first arrow OR the second arrow. And those albinos would be indistinguishable from each other, each would produce no C (pigment). The problem is that if you cross something with a perfectly good first arrow (but a broken second arrow) with a plant with a broken first arrow (but a perfectly good second arrow), then you will get (in theory) 100% pigmented offspring.

So, if you only need to mutate one to break the pathway, it is still an albino with just one gene knocked out. Yes, it would be really nice if you had a double knockout, or a triple knockout, or ... lord only knows how many genes knockout. But that is asking a bit much. Part of the breeder's art is to know which plants make good parents. But the only way to know is to make a lot of crosses.

I'm sorry, but the seller didn't ever indicate this plant to be a true albine phenotype. The plant is sold as Paph. venustum alba x charlesworthii alba - not as Paph. Hung Shen Venus 'alba'. So everyone who has a little idea of albine genetics in Paphs knows that the progenies don't have to be alba too.

Look there: http://www.paphinessorchids.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=63

IMO the most interesting thing about this cross is that the color isn't redish OR green as one might expect in albine breeding, but dilute. So one of the parents, I would guess the P. venustum, is suspected to have color surpressing genes insted of the usually 'broken' red producing gene as Rob stated above.

Last edited:
Thanks Fibre. It makes little sense to me as I am a novice at all of this but I would just like to say that I have no problem with Schwerter. I like the store and I like the seller too. I hope that nobody thinks that I was casting doubt on his reputation.

I'm sorry the seller didn't ever indicate this plant to be a true albine phenotype. The plant is sold as Paph. venustum alba x charlesworthii alba - not as Paph. Hung Shen Venus 'alba'. So everyone who has a little idea of albine genetics in Paphs knows that the progenies don't have to be alba too.

Look there: http://www.paphinessorchids.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=63

IMO the most interesting thing about this cross is that the color isn't redish OR green as one might expect in albine breeding, but dilute. So one of the parents, I would guess the P. venustum, is suspected to have color surpressing genes insted of the usually 'broken' red producing gene as Rob stated above.

That is a really great link...

Latest posts

Back