Paph malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My malipoense took around 3 months to grow the flowering spike, it was about 1m tall. Before opening, right before, there was a cold draft in the living room and the flower dropped before opening.

Be really careful with the plant during that period, no sun, no cold drafts, no hot radiators!! This applies to all orchids but with this one was a bit traumatic..

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean pumping out the excess heat? I don't think that heat will be a problem as it is winter right now. All multiflorals are growing fine under metal halide and a couple of small seedlings of cattleyas the room doesn't get above 25c. I'm going to put it under MH and used the roths and stonei leaves to shade it a bit. Hopefully it will still flower.

Here is the plant now. I have a feeling that I should stake this now.

IMG_1321.jpg

The bulbs are very hot and the stem will be very tall. I am concern about bud blasting because of heat.

About "pumpin the heat", I was meaning something like this:

http://www.bustan.ca/product_detail.asp?menuID=4&SID=28&PID=264

Of course you grow under 400W. Not as hot as my 1000W!

NO!!!! Do stake it yet! If it needs a stake later because you think the flower weight/ leaning over is putting too much stress on the plant/ roots then stake it. Also, stake it low, down by the plant to stabilize the roots/ plant.

I got myself a new camera and playing with some shots. Here is what I come up with.

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

I don't know how to take picture. I'm still learning and reading on some tutorials.

Not bad, Eggshells. I'd like to see you place the plant further away from the background so that the shadow isn't as dominant. Your focus is good.

have you bloomed it before?
is it really a malipoense?
seems to have such a short inflorescence!
:)

I'm shooting it on an angle but yeah I thinK it's still short. The inflorescense is 12" tall. This is the first blooming of this plant but the story was I bought it in low bud bare rooted. Then I potted it and put it under my shelf with other small paphs because I wasn't sure about the light requirements. It got too tall so I moved it under mh. It's still growing and hasn't really opened up full so it might grow a little bit more. Tag says malipoense. Probably just got stressed from what I put it through.

Back