A little funky .....

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

I got some paphs out of the production trays at Acker's 2 years ago & Chuck said under the right conditions some will be blooming in 2 years! Here it is - Lebaudyanum album (philip. album x haynald. album). I'm a bit surprised with the purple petals.
butterflies005.jpg
Yellowbutterfly004.jpg

The dorsal is a bit pinched & a little twisted & the stam is crooked! :-( but there's hope for the second flower!
Yellowbutterfly006.jpg

I have a paph that had a really screwy staminode the first blooming, but looks better the second time-
This bloom is beautiful! The contrast of the petals is stunning! That's a keeper!

It is not unusual for two albums crossed to produce flowers which are not album - especially between different species but also intraspecific. Their recessive genes are different and so are not expressed. I have a Honey out of alba parents I kept because it had better color than the normal form. When I want an album species, now I only take a selfing. I had two 'appletonianum albums' which were normal color forms when bloomed out - they were a cross of two different albas - same with my first 'sukhakulii alba' - similarly two different albas used, and a normally colored flower resulted.

OH, this has so great colours!!!! Next blooming will have no deforms, I guess!

As I said a little funky - it could be worse! The plant is 3 growths, 11" l.s. on the largest/oldest growth, so I'm confident it will improve.
TY tenman I knew someone would have a reason & I know some Mt. Toro albums bloom out regular, so why shouldn't these! Is it likely that all sibs would be colored like this? I originally had 10, traded & sold some & have a few left.
Yellowbutterfly004-1.jpg

Back