Paph henryanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
henryanum

Well the day has finally arrived when the bud has opened & as I stated before it isn't henryanum. I have a confession to make.This was given to me in 2009 as a birthday gift & labelled as paph trantuanhii but with all the controversy over it & no clear pics of what it was to look like I just used henryanum to start my thread. Whatever it is it has fine form ( to my old eyes anyway:) )
I'm open for any ideas what it might be.

100_0086_zps07134cd4.jpg

I think it could be x herrmannii. In the book Paphiopedilum Species, The Essential Handbook by Oakeley & Braem, on p.36, there is a picture of one. While the flower in the picture is darker than Jane's, everything else is ver similar. Here is the description:

Intermediate. It grows epephytically in humus-filled cracks and crevices of steep, eroded crystalline limestone rock formations along the Vietnam/China border at elevations of 600-1,000 metres. Lip reddish-brown to pink. Margins of dorsal vary between white and green. A natural hybrid of P. helenae x P. hirsutissimum var. esquirolei.

My first thought when I saw it was helenae x barbigerum.

I think it could be x herrmannii. In the book Paphiopedilum Species, The Essential Handbook by Oakeley & Braem, on p.36, there is a picture of one. While the flower in the picture is darker than Jane's, everything else is ver similar. Here is the description:

I disagree, with all due respect of course but it doesn't really look like a herrmanii or x aspersum whatever people may wanna call it.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11690&page=3

Last edited:
Thanks you guys for your input.Dot what thread are you talking about so I can see pic

At this point I don't see anything that doesn't fit into any of the dozen or so varieties of barbigerum (including cocinieanum, aka barbigerum var. lockianum)

Fibre-I'm leaning towards coccineum myself after seeing a good pic on line & having my plant side by side for comparison.Thanks for your input.

I picked up this group of plan from mr. Tran Tuan as paph trantuanhii, i know he used to have it. So, i asked him to let me have some. ( i dont want to get into history of it). Anyway, i have a few in flower also. They have diff varities. Hopefully, they still have flowers when i get back
BD

Thanks Dot.I think I have decided on barbigerum x coccineum for my record keeping :)

Back