Zombies

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

Reaction score
Further to Mike's remark on turning paphs into zombies in the ''killed'' thread, I think I've stumbled on a technique which may help. I've noticed this happens from time to time for no apparent reason (that the roots stop short, turn brown-not rot- and the plant sits there for month after month doing nothing or even shrinking) If the plant is not too dehydrated cut off all the roots including some of the plant base. You now have a cutting. Plant it in (preferably) live sphagnum. Often you will get a nice fresh root after a couple of months and the plant is away. After care and handling is very delicate though as if you disturb it too soon, its done for.

Can you demonstrate? I have one delenatii var album zombie that needs
something done for it. How much of the base of the plant? Have you
actually managed this procedure successfully?

I've done just as Stone suggested and it worked: the plants put out a new root or two. But then I messed about with the plant and killed it. You have to leave them alone.

I would suggest planting the cutting in a small transparent pot (maybe the bottom half of a water bottle) so you can monitor root development and only disturb the plant when it has well developed roots. Then just pot the sphag ball on into a new medium to grow out the plant.

Interesting. I have the opposite problem with the first del. album. I tried
to repot this morning and the top growth had rotted at the base and the
roots are top notch. I repotted anyway and will see what happens. I gave
it a good shot of Cleary's.

I've done just as Stone suggested and it worked: the plants put out a new root or two. But then I messed about with the plant and killed it. You have to leave them alone.

I would suggest planting the cutting in a small transparent pot (maybe the bottom half of a water bottle) so you can monitor root development and only disturb the plant when it has well developed roots. Then just pot the sphag ball on into a new medium to grow out the plant.

I agree with all you say Tyrone. You must use a sharp razor for the cut. I've never tried a rooting hormone on the cut but that might help as well.
Nothing ventured nothing gained I say. Its pretty much certain that if don't do it your plant will fade away anyway. Something inhibits new roots when there is even one small brown stump of a root. I think its also important to cut off any brown tissue you might see as well.

Angela; Yes I have been succsesful in reviving a delenatii vini, a venustum alba and a niveum. At the moment I have high hopes for a bellatulum alba, 2 acmodontums and a parnatanum.

Latest posts

Back