White Stuff

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoyo_Jo

Catt's Meow
Reaction score
This morning... :sob:

Current temp: +1 C

IMG_1229.jpg

:rollhappy::rollhappy:
That's why I don't live in Canada but that's also why I don't live in FL! :p

Our "normal" average temperature in September s/b +17C, but this has been a weirdo cool & wet summer and fall. I put my two cymbidiums in the garage last night...

^^ Well, I don't blame you for thinking that - I just took a look back at all the threads I've started to show unseasonable snow fall -too damn many. :(

Ugh! I don't envy your early snowfall. Yesterday wasn't so great here, though, with 2.28+ inches (5.79+ cm) of rain, most of which fell inside of only one hour. Naturally I was "lucky" enough to be driving across town when streets all over the city flooded with a couple of feet (.61 meters) of water. The engine sputtered and nearly died, and I very nearly floated away on more than one occasion. They always say not to drive thru standing water in the roadway, to turn around and go the other way instead, but I was already on the roadway when the water rose all around me. No matter which way I went, the water kept rising. I almost didn't escape! :sob: Still, your sifting of snow looks mighty depressing to me.

Yikes Lanmark! Roads flooded with a couple feet of water! Glad you were safe. Bet it was white knuckle driving through that!!

Yikes Lanmark! Roads flooded with a couple feet of water! Glad you were safe. Bet it was white knuckle driving through that!!
I saw several stalled cars afloat, and I encountered a lot of those orange and white reflective roadside construction barrels with flashing lights on top floating around the city in various places. I've never before been on heavily flooded roads like what yesterday's event caused. I hope to never experience it again. It happened very fast, it was widespread, and it was very nearly tragic! At one point a large moving van/truck was going past me on the right and an even larger semi-truck on the left just as a big wall of water was coming down from the highway on-and-off ramps on my right onto the surface street. A big splash of water converged on me from all directions, and for a brief moment my car felt like it was submerged to the top of the windshield. It spun my car around to the right by about 45 degrees and back again before my wheels reconnected with the pavement. The engine sputtered and almost stalled out, and I'm more than a little surprised that it didn't completely quit on me. I was driving a Buick '09 Lucerne so you can imagine just how much water that was!

I think Slipperfan might have had even more rainfall than we did...something like 2.75 inches fell in one hour over by where she lives. I hope she didn't suffer from any destructive flooding. She lives right on the river with a large pond located in her back yard between the river and her house. The river runs west to east and the storms came from the west. :eek:

I wonder if the upper midwest/Great Lakes region of the USA will have a harsh winter this year with lots of snow. Has anyone heard any long-range weather projections regarding this? What about Calgary, Alberta? Has anyone heard any early forecasts regarding the upcoming winter there? Your early snow has me rattled, Yoyo Jo. :rollhappy:

Thanks, Mark. I was in the greenhouse in Grand Ledge when the rain hit. I've never heard it pound that loud and long on the roof as it did yesterday! I think a bolt of lightning hit the corner of the greenhouse -- no damage done, but the flash and bang were instantaneous. And very loud and very bright!

My husband was home at the time, and he said it was like that there, also -- the rain, that is. But no damage. The river was so low because of the dry spell that there is little chance of it flooding. The pond is fine, also -- a little high, but draining down the little creek we made to the river. (Actually, the river runs East to West.)

I'm glad you are OK, Mark -- that must have been a scary experience. So often you see pictures of cars floating away under such conditions. I'm glad I didn't see you on the news last night.

Joanne, your photo made me shudder!

Latest posts

Back