Which should I get, fischeri or schlimii?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Eric if you have a Paint Ball tounament close to OL feel free to stop by: Ask for Robert and I will give you a tour (That applies to all you folks too; if you are ever in the neighberhood).

Robert

Drorchid said:
Yes, Eric if you have a Paint Ball tounament close to OL feel free to stop by: Ask for Robert and I will give you a tour (That applies to all you folks too; if you are ever in the neighberhood).

Robert

Cool! How far are you guys from Minneapolis? My sister lives in Brooklyn Park which, I believe, isnt to far away from Minneapolis. If you guys aren't far I'm gonna come visit. :)

We are in Plymouth, a suburb of Minneapolis on the western side. I would guess it is about 15 to 20 minutes away (depending on traffic) from Brooklyn Park. Go to our website for directions or give us a call (see our website for the number).

Robert

I was there in the summer. Jason gave me the grand tour. Very impressive.
I only took one picture, of a huge Phal gigantea.

Unfortunatly, I wasn't able to bring anything home.

Kyle

Sweet! I can't wait my sisters baby is due soon too. I'm pretty sure I'll be visiting within the next year. :)

Heather lets go! Anyone else wanna go on a field trip? lol

Hey Eric,

If you want to know about paintball tournaments in MN, talk to my buddy Robo (also the guy who Phrag. Robert Palm is named after). He is the biggest paintball freak I know and travels the US playing tournaments. I think his gun collection is over 50 now! Here's a link to his website:

http://www.robotsonic.com/

All of you are welcome to visit anytime! I'd like to start an event here again, maybe even re-kindle the old ISOSO we had (slipper orchid meeting) back in the mid 90's.

ugh, you were supposed to be discussing which phrag I should get, not paintball...

although speaking of plants that look like paintball victims, my wife thinks we should get a paph bellatulum. thoughts? I hear they can be kinda tricky too...

Be ye not envious, non-paintball playing fools. Paintball is the most fun you can have w/ your clothes on. [There's nothing like teasing your neighbors while watering your collection naked.] I travel around the country as a refferee in one of the leagues. I also play tournaments in the NE and Canada. I cant imagine someone went to Orchids Ltd. and didn't get 1 plant!!! I'd pull out my nosehairs before that happened, OW! If I get to Minn. I will certainly drop by, Thanx. Now I know where H.P. Norton got some of his stock. E.

OK back to the fischeri and schlimii debate....

I posted pictures of both species, plus it's hybrid, so you can compare. I also added pictures of the staminodes. It is interesting that the staminode of Pink Panther is exactly intermediate between the 2 parents.

Phrag. schlimii:

schlimii.jpg

Phrag. fischeri:

fischeri.jpg

Phrag. Pink Panther:

PinkPanther.jpg

Staminode of Phrag. schlimii:

Stamschl.jpg

Staminode of Phrag. fischeri:

Stamfisch.jpg

Staminode of Phrag. Pink Panther:

StamPP.jpg

Robert

NYEric said:
I cant imagine someone went to Orchids Ltd. and didn't get 1 plant!!!

I live in Canada. Didn't want to risk getting the plant siezed when I crossed the border. Canadians are allowed to bring less then 50 plants back from the states without phyto or permits, but I didn't want to risk running into an ignorant border guard. Next time, i'll probably pick up a couple.

Kyle

SlipperFan said:
Can the offspring be better than it's parents???

Yes, see my reply on the Phrag. besseae thread.

Sometimes when you cross two species (or two isolated populations from the same species like 2 different varieties) you will get hybrid vigor. The resulting hybrid will be easier to grow, faster to grow and form flowers, and sometimes the flowers can be larger and more colorfull than either one of it's parents.

As an example: say species A is adapted to growing at sea level at 85 degree F day and 70 degree F night temperatures. Species B grows up in the mountains at 65 degree F day and 50 degree night temperatures. If you cross the two species together the resulting hybrid can grow anywhere between 65 to 85 degree day and 50 to 70 degree night temperatures. As a result the hybrid can grow in a wider range of enviromental conditions. (think also soil, humidity, light etc etc).

Robert

Drorchid said:
Yes, see my reply on the Phrag. besseae thread.
Actually, that was a rhetorical question. I need to use smileys more.

I think the Pink Panther is one of the best Phrag flowers I've ever seen. Maybe the best orchid. It is simply gorgeous.:drool:

I hope you will let us know when they are available again...

I love pubecsent flowers, Pink Panther, Hanne Popow, St. Ouen, but the colors of Atsuko Fischer are truly amazing, Pink and Purple mix. Regarding border guards, just slip a $20 in the passport and everything looks good... And by the way, those closeups are kind of obscene. In my mind? Nothing, why? E.

I'm a self-confessed lurker (I'm far outclassed here in experience and feel asinine making noise), but that is a gorgeous hybrid! Maybe what I like about it most is that it doesn't really look like a hybrid...just a really perfect species. Like a super fischeri! I've been debating the purchase of a fischeri for years (have a nice schlimii 'Elizabeth' for now), but I may just wait until you have more of these available.

streetmorrisart said:
I'm a self-confessed lurker (I'm far outclassed here in experience and feel asinine making noise), but that is a gorgeous hybrid! Maybe what I like about it most is that it doesn't really look like a hybrid...just a really perfect species. Like a super fischeri! I've been debating the purchase of a fischeri for years (have a nice schlimii 'Elizabeth' for now), but I may just wait until you have more of these available.

outclassed? please! no one here is outclassed I for one know I ask super dumb questions all the time. :eek:

I didn't mean to imply people who aren't experts shouldn't speak up. I just feel weird about it personally. There's a lot to be gotten out of listening to the people who sell and hybridize these guys for a living. I'll speak up when I have a unique question, but generally things can be answered by looking at my books and around the web so that's what I do. (Is there a guilty smiley?!)

Latest posts

Back