Ascofinetia Cherry Blossom (not mericlone)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
These are in spike.
I posted flower photos last year I think, but I just love how they look now.
So here I am!

I bought these two about three years ago thinking these were mericlones of the famous "Carmela" clone, the bright fuschia colored flowers.
When they flowered for the first time last summer, I was rather disappointed. One was light peach or apricot, and the other one was "dirty" pink. A plus side was that they are both fragrant, which I don't think Carmela clone is.

They each had two spikes with just a few flowers.
This year, one has three spikes, and the other one has three on mother growth and her pub has its own single spike.
I could not get them all in the picture as they are hidden between the growths.

The peach colored one, which was earlier to bloom last year as well, is about to open up some buds in the next couple of days. :)

Grown in the sunny window, photos taken under T8 light.

Will update as flowers open up.

ascof2_zpsdsosjyxr.jpg

ascof_zpsv6fvkcvt.jpg

ascof1_zpsdiiecam7.jpg

If I remember correctly, the first one, which is a single growth plant, is the lighter colored one.
The color on the bud is deceiving. It looks nothing like it once open. lol
Stay tuned!

By the way, I wonder if the flower count will go up in the future.
Only time will tell, but I saw Carmela clone of the similar size and they were already packing some flower power.

Scent counts for a lot in my book.

Fragrance on these two is nothing like straight neo.
It was faint, although it was definitely there when you stick your nose right up to them. lol
Better than nothing I guess. And it was on during the day time I think.

I know. I've seen pictures of yours.
One with Carmela clone color (or is it the Carmela clone?) and the other one with lilac color, which is very pretty!

And both of yours have good flower power!

I'm only posting one of the two.
This was hard enough for me to take a decent shot, but the other one has flower spike nearly horizontal and the way it displays makes it just impossible. I took a few and then deleted them all. lol

This one is pinker than the other one, and I like it better.
It is also slightly fragrant during the day time, kind of like neofinetia scent.
This one shows a good potential for the future. The flower count is much better than last year, and the flowers are quite close together.
The other plant has way too much space between flowers on the spike. not good.

One odd thing is that spikes on both plants tend to open up one at a time instead of opening up all together like some other specimens I have seen.
Oh, well..

cb_zpsnl64vxv8.jpg

You can see both in the background in this shot.
The one in the forefront is my neo in spike. :)

neof_zps1ro5znm0.jpg

I wish you could see them in person. The color is not quite like the photo.
It's more pink with some orangish hue, rather strange tone, but pretty!
The flowers open up pink, then it intensifies over the course of a couple of days and then the underlying orange hue kicks in.

I just wish the fragrance was stronger!

By the way, sorry to hear about the sad news in your family.
I'm dealing with mine. My husband's sister in law in Germany has been fighting recurring lung cancer in the past 16 months.
She could not walk and her rib cage broke when she coughed last month.
Just yesterday we talked to his mom and his brother to learned that she was in coma in hospital now. The cancer spread into her brain and they say she only has a few days left.
We all cried over the phone.

Such a wonderful beautiful woman has to die in her 40s!
They met in high school. Cute story!
I'm beyond sad, I am angry!!!
And were flying to Germany next month! Too late to see her once more.
Very heartbreaking!!!

Seeing beautiful flowers is the only thing that sometimes
keeps me going. Thank you. I've developed such a hate
for cancer that I'd rather just take my own life than go through the damned treatment. I'm sure the chemo killed my favorite sister-in-law and the touch stone in
the family. You have my deepest empathy and understanding of how you feel...so helpless to do anything to stop it.

I have a hybrid Phal which is absolutely stunning with its many small but brilliant, electric magenta flowers. It is fragrant, too, but the sandalwood & cherries scent (that's how I perceive it anyway) is extremely mild. I'm sure I've kvetched a thousand times about how I wish its scent were stronger :rollhappy: but I keep it around anyway because it is truly beautiful. Here's a link to someone else's photo of this clone on Flickr: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8732/16574137123_299a1791ea_b.jpg The name of it is Phalaenopsis Nuuanu Tono 'KF #1' and it's a cross between Purple Gem and schilleriana which has been awarded an AM/AOS.

Anyway, my point is that I think your Ascf. Cherry Blossom is lovely. I think it's a keeper, whether for you or for someone else.
:)

That is my favorite color on phal!
Large phals in that dark magenta color of good quality is hard to come by.
When I do see one, I always buy it. :)

Anyway, I like Queen Beer as well. Similar to the one in the link you shared.
I also had NOID mini with this same color from Trader Joes. I wish I had kept it. It grew and flowered very well, at the end, all the flower turned pelori and that's when I tossed it. mutant!

Latest posts

Back