Which Brachy Benefits from Exposed Base??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Hello, everyone~

I read somewhere in the past that brachys need to be potted so that the base of the plant is slightly above the potting mix.
I have seen some pictures of these plants both in cultivation and in the wild, but do not seem differ than some other slippers in that all the "dirt" was up to the base of the plant or slightly exposed.

At the NJOS show yesterday, a vendor told me that bellatulum is the one that needs the base of the plant exposed.

Those who grow brachys, is this true or why is this "expose the base" thing going around??

I grow a handful of mine without exposing the base and they have been just fine. So I thought I would get stories from others' experience.

Thank you in advance!

it probably depends on your conditions. do you grow indoors or in a greenhouse?

for an indoor grower like me, they need to have the new roots coming out of the base of the plant contact the media. over time bella's can grow "up" out of the pot though so i always have to repot them a little deeper.

Hey Happy, Clark and I were at the NJOS show Saturday. I didn't get much, left things for you! :) I wanted a tigrinum but was too much for a small seedling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm an indoor grower. I use natural light that comes through my window.

I guess I'm just going ton continue with the way I have been doing then.

Thanks!

Wait, who is Clark, by the way? Kim Clark? I might have seen you and not realize who you were.
I was busy walking all over the place checking plants out. Both the display and the ones for sale.
Piping Rock had almost nothing left. Well, at least nothing good for me. lol
but I did get some stuff. a lot more than I planned to, which was one plant. hahaha

I grow a lot of Brachy and it doesn't seem to make much
difference how I plant them as long as I don't bury them.
Brachy seem to to find their own level in reasonably short
order...too deep, they push up...too shallow...the roots
pull the plant down.

Same as other paphs I would say. If you look at the habitat shots, they often come from deep in a crack in the rock. Air is the key!

I grow a few brachys, and I do not think they benefit from having the base exposed. The important thing is to NOT cover the base of the growth with something wet (e.g. sphag). You can cover the base lightly with dry materials like gravel, LECA, pumice..

Yah. I think the idea is to not keep the base of the plant wet. I made the mistake of planting my 15 year old paph lynleigh koopowitiz with the base covered and the crown just fell off last week. :( Lucky thing I have a division of it still going.

Back