when will the flower fade?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I put some pollen on one of my Paph. insigne blooms last week this time. I can't say I have yet noticed the flower to begin to fade. How long does it take before the flower will fade if a successful pollination has taken place?

Thanks

Tyrone, my experience is that they do not fade away as for example in Cymbidiums. They remain fairly good for quite some time. If you do not remove the pouch to do the pollination it is sometimes not possible to even recognize that pollination has taken place. It is sometimes even difficult to notice in the seed capsule. You wont get this fat capsule as with Catts.
Patience I think is the name of the game here

Hello Faan,

Thanks for the advice. I pollinated when the flower was still unfolding and so could simply push the pouch aside (I did break the staminode but it still looks good) and just put the pollen down on the style. The flower still looks good but didn't expand any further like the first flower that opened on the plant (at least 12 growths on the plant!) The flower does look a bit more papery/thin compared to the other two.

I will patiently wait... Not like I can do anything else.

Thanks

Hello,

Well, looks like the pollination didn't take. The flower has simply died. :-( Oh well, better luck next year :)

I have just put some chamberlainum pollen on my Paph. Leeanum. Maybe that will take, though I think fresh pollen would be better.

tt

If it takes and it flowers you will have remade Paph Mortenii, a cross registered by Appleton in 1899. Good luck.

Hi Faan,

I hope it does take! I've seen photos of spicerianum x chaimberlainum on this forum and the colour is lovely. I like color :) This cross with Leeanum should give a nice wide range of colours and forms which should keep me entertained. Mostly, this is a nice test run to whats involved in Paph breeding before I try something more serious (and interesting).

tt

I replied to the other post, but I am fairly new to paphs. I used to have a few when I was younger, but they did not flower well and eventually died because family members knocked them out of their pots and abused them. I gave up after a while because of that, but just last year I got some orchids from someone who was desperately needing to get rid of their collection and got a good size paph. (not sure about the name) that just started blooming. I just this morning pollinated it with a dental pick after using the fused end of a pair of tweezers to pry the stigma up in front of the labellum very gently. I will not know for some time if this was successful and it is no guarantee that even if pollination itself is successful that you will get viable seeds. Some paphs and cypripedium species actually will not waste time producing seeds if the cross creates sterile embryos or the cross is incompatible. I have also read that some of these orchids can produce seeds that are genetically identical to the parent by mitotic division and meiotic division so there are at least some viable embryos in the capsule. I hope to get some seeds from this self cross and try my luck at flasking seeds again. The flowers are very beautiful to me.

Hello,

I put some pollen on one of my Paph. insigne blooms last week this time. I can't say I have yet noticed the flower to begin to fade. How long does it take before the flower will fade if a successful pollination has taken place?

Thanks

seven days usually;)

Hi Calypso,

The flower in question lasted a few weeks... Until the capsule swelled a little I thought pollination hadn't taken place. But I have 5 nice protocorms to show for my patience.

montanaguy28, all the best with your cross.

Back