Paph Lynleigh Koopowitz + A surprise?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc6847

Reaction score
This one lasts forever and found out that blooming is triggered by cold winter temps down to the 50s or 40s F. I had two immature growths and both flowered unexpectedly after the mature growth.

Also, the plant seems to have kept a seed pod from the bloom that faded at the beginning of July. I collected pollen from the flower when it was on its last legs but I don't remember touching the stigmatic surface. One of the other blooms has already faced and the whole ovary+spike has browned and shriveled but the one in the back is still standing. Is it at all possible for paphs to spontaneously pollinate?

1692577636068.png
1692577680134.png
1692577728868.png
1692577923671.png

There are several published average maturation dates for seed pods. But they are in general terms. I imagine that these timetables are on the internet somewhere.
But there is no way to predict that such and such takes 75 days to mature or this such and such takes 180 days.
Environmental factors play a role. But a lot of things are for green pods.
For example the table might say 5 months for a bifoliate Cattleya hybrid, maybe 5-6 months for a sanderianum type Vanda hybrid. Maybe 4 months for a Neofinetia seed pod. There are just too many variables to really hone in on a specific week.
If memory serves in green pod culture the harvest date could be after 5 months, 6 months or 7 months. You will get viable seed either way. Maybe there is an optimal time.

kc6847
I don’t think that they can spontaneously pollinate. There are species that are known to be cleistogomous, self pollinating. One such species is Guarianthae aurantiaca, aka Cattleya aurantiaca.
Years ago quite a few clones produced flowers that would not open fully. They would self pollinate. That could have been because wild collected plants might have been prone to that.
Perhaps much of the aurantiaca’s available today have had that tendency removed through breeding clones with open flowers.

In the case of the Paph., an insect is the likely culprit.

Latest posts

Back