what's your preventive spray routine?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do spray with neem oil routinely, partly because it keeps the leaves looking healthy. I only use chemicals when I have a problem. I like neem oil because it is a natural product, and I don't think I'm going to be developing some kind of superbug by spraying neem oil occasionally on my little household collection of plants.

In my opinion, neem oil's primary benefit is as an antifeedant. In other words, as it discourages bugs from selecting treated plants to feed upon, they simply go elsewhere, or stay in such a small population that they are easily manageable.

When I do have to spray, I treat thoroughly for at least three consecutive sprayings, I rotate products so that I use a different killing mode the next time, and I like to use an insect growth regulator at the same time, so that immature critters won't mature and reproduce.

Yep, I'd have to agree - Integrated Pest Management, in short: do your best not to introduce new pests to your growing area, keep an eye out for pests and make sure you identify exactly what they are (just an icky nuisance, or something like mealies that would wreck havoc if not treated effectively), and if they are something nasty, hopefully catching them early allows you to do things like just using an alcohol swab to get rid of them from small collections. If you do find something late and it's widespread, then think about insecticidal soaps, growth regulators and stronger insecticides. I can't recommend any particular chemicals, b/c I'm just not the nuke'em sort about using chemicals until I really need to, so not enough experience to have favorites to recommend!

The consensus seems to be against prophylactic spraying. As a beginner, I'm grateful for the replies and will follow your collective lead. But I have to ask another question - what about Koopowitz? I just read in his Tropical Slipper Orchids:

"I have not had good success with some of the 'organic' products that are often touted, such as light mineral oils and neem oil. I routinely spray my collection every three months and this seems to keep pests under control."

it depends a lot on what each person considers 'keeping a pest under control', and this is taken into account before someone should be spraying and with what rate of chemical. to some, control is keeping a population of bugs down to a few here or there, while someone trying to sell plants at a grocery store or florists shop control would mean complete eradication and no signs of old bugs on plants (no skin casings or eggs) which would make public think living bugs were still there. people can be freaked out by two whitefly flying out of a plant at a store because could assume infestation though two only would not likely be cause for concern of a plant being in danger.

I find that even w/ preventative spraying w/ Neem and other insecticides you still have to go thru the collection and check for small pockets of pests hidden away from sight. I have photos of really healthy looking plants but when you turn them over and look close..:eek:!!!

This is what I learned at the first orchid club meeting I attended today, the guy swears by it!
1/4c. lowfat milk
a squirt of dishwashing soap
3/4c. water

I find that even w/ preventative spraying w/ Neem and other insecticides you still have to go thru the collection and check for small pockets of pests hidden away from sight. I have photos of really healthy looking plants but when you turn them over and look close..:eek:!!!

oh, thanks for reminding me that I have to pot up the paph bellatulum (that had mealys hidden under the leaves :mad: ) that I sprayed a little while back

i think Eric's being a little silly...

mix them all together and spray on plants.
milk will clean leaves and there's been some speculation it can keep out virus, the soap will dehydrate and kill pests.
at least, that's i think it'd be used....

This is what I learned at the first orchid club meeting I attended today, the guy swears by it!
1/4c. lowfat milk
a squirt of dishwashing soap
3/4c. water

Please explain use.
That's the recipe, put in a spray bottle & spray away! He claimed they don't like it. My guess is the soap is a spreader/sticker/wetting agent, the fat in the milk would smother to a degree?

Wash w/ soap and water; then drink milk to settle ulcer caused by stubborn, unrelenting pests! :evil:
:rollhappy: I have to agree, seems like it would be a chaser, if you start soon enough & are using it as a preventative, I imagine it could work. If the insects have a hold, then I wouldn't place any bets on it!

Let's see: milk polishes the leaves, leaving them shiny and maybe a little slippery. Soap will smother insects. And of course water makes it all sprayable. Interesting concept.

Have you tried it, Rose?

I took 2 plants for the show table & used straight milk to clean 'em up - they looked great! This afternoon I noticed a few scale on the spike of my pyschopsis but had alcohol handy. I've used enstar II & decathalon, several times, so think things are under control. I'm almost done repotting my whole collection & there were only a couple of plants that had a couple of mealies.
I will certainly give it a try, if needed, in between the big guns!

I've used milk for years to clean my plants for shows. It gets the hard water spots off (as well as dust, etc.) and makes the leaves nice and shiny.

You are ambitious, Rose. I've been doing a little potting as needed, but I'm waiting for warmer weather to do the most part outside.

Latest posts

Back