Whats up with Ten Shin?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from him lately? I have sent him 6 emails, no replies.

Back in may, i ordered about 13 plants from him. Very small but thats coz i ordered A sizes. I was pretty satisfied with them except for 2 thats clearly not gonna make it. Almost no roots and the leaves looked like theyre getting smaller. I told him about it right away and he said try and grow them till October when hes back in Canada. And he told me to email him then to know how theyre doing. I was hoping he would replace them. Emailed him in october and i didnt get any reply. Been emailing him since and so far nada. I simple "no, i am not replacing those plants" would do.

Out of the 13 plants i got from him only 4 are doing well. The rest are doing nothing. The 2 weak ones have been thrown a while ago.

For 20 bucks a plant, I could have bought plants from clouds or forest view thats 2-3 times the size. Plants that would surely make it. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
I have not heard fro them but I had the same experienc. I only have one plant left out of five or six I bought.

my seedlngs diied too. they were nice little seedlings but the importation was too tough on them. i would buy the bigger sized plants next time.

If I got special plants like anitum or thaianum, thing I could only get from him, then I wouldn't feel so bad. But I just got typical parvi crosses! Things local vendors have.

It's too bad that your lost quite a few plants... I think their A-size is smaller than what we usually get as seedlings in the domestic order, but I think their plants are pretty healthy. Matt recognizes the small size of their A-size, and usually recommend to go with the larger size, though. Their price matches with the smaller size, too.

I do agree that the acclimation seems to take much longer (at least to me). Some of them didn't do anything for a year, but most started to grow after 4-5 months. I have lost 3 out of 19 (from 2012 and 2013 Shore Orchid Fest.), which is slightly higher fail rate than domestic orders.

Rick, it is probably difficult to tell until they flower, but do your papuanum look like the real one? I was considering of getting it, too (but I decided to see if I can grow violascens and mastersianum at first).

Most of the crosses I got were only available as size A, The larger ones are stil alive. I will probably get more from Ten Shin but only the larger sizes, or take extra, extra special care. .

Last edited:
had the same problem with other asian seedlings.
mainly no roots, and hard to keep alive.
This is why I order only big once.

But watch some of the vendor sell big once only as bloomed plant.
So you got a plant for a high price which they are sorrted already out.
The last time I told them I only want not bloomed once.
And the first flower was more then great.
He charged 10E extra per plant for that....
1 blasted the bud, and is getting 3 new growth, so next time.

But I only will buy seedlings again, when they are really good price, or I cannot get them here in good quality.

Latest posts

Back