What zone are you in?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What hardiness zone do you live in?

• Total voters
G

goldenrose

Time for a poll! I would think most of the ST members are pretty spread out, but there's only one way to find out what hardiness (agricultural zone) are you in?

Well it is kind of difficult to tell now that weather conditions tend to change, but I answered based on the past data for my area.

Is there an international zone map? I'm in zone 2b, according to the Canadian map.

A Japanese map was drawn up sometime ago. I fall somewhere in the 9a-9b boundary, but honestly, this area hasn't gone below 25 F since I've lived here.

Is there an international zone map? I'm in zone 2b, according to the Canadian map.

They've worked out maps for many countries, but I don't think a world map exists. I've always found this system to be silly though since it doesn't really help with growing stuff since climate is the most important issue when growing plants, not the coldest average temperature recorded in any given year.

Hey, there's no choice for zone 11! :poke: That's where I need to be...

You and me both! Good point since several of our members definitely are in zone 11 or higher (I think it goes up to 14, or something like that). Even in the states though zone 11 exists in the Florida Keys, extreme southern California, and of course Hawaii.

You and me both! Good point since several of our members definitely are in zone 11 or higher (I think it goes up to 14, or something like that). Even in the states though zone 11 exists in the Florida Keys, extreme southern California, and of course Hawaii.

Cool, I didn't know they went higher than 11 (I've only ever looked at the USDA map). In that case, I want to be in zone 14 or whatever the hottest is! :evil:

Cool, I didn't know they went higher than 11 (I've only ever looked at the USDA map). In that case, I want to be in zone 14 or whatever the hottest is! :evil:

Really! Are you sure? Go to southeast Asia. Places like extreme southern China, Malaysia, Cambodia, Sumatra....I think you might be singing a different tune come April!

They've worked out maps for many countries, but I don't think a world map exists. I've always found this system to be silly though since it doesn't really help with growing stuff since climate is the most important issue when growing plants, not the coldest average temperature recorded in any given year.

Good point, which is why the Canadian system might be more accurate than the American system, and maybe others. http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/climate/hardiness/intro.html

Tennessee has enough elevation changes and seems to be on the edge of the Southward shift of the Jet Stream as it whips around in the winter. Until fairly recently most of TN was considered in 6, but now most is in 7. My house is on the TN divide, where there was a pocket of 6A in the middle of the state, but probably upgraded to 6b. The eastern end of the state is mountainous, and more like 6 at the bottom to 5 at elevation. The west end of the state is low elevation swamp, so firmly in 7 (but feels like 8).

My little pocket is pretty interesting in that on the north side of the road, you find the "northern form" or at the southern end of the range for many of plants and amphibians common in the north, while south of my house you find the southern examples. You can also find examples of northern and southern intergrade forms in the woods around here.

You can get Spinal Tap amplifiers that go to 11!!!

It's "1 louder than 10":wink:

Yay! I'm the ONE in #6! We used to be in 5 but now we're in 6 here in central Ohio. Must be the longer winter, now we only have three frost-free months, June/July/August, whereas 15 years ago I put my orchids out in early March and brought them back in after halloween, now it'd be end of May to beginning of Sept. What can I say? Global cooling! it's a crazy mixed-up world and I'm stir-crazy after doing all my research, emailing, catalog reading and finalizing my pre-orders for Redlands!

Latest posts

Back