what would you do with an insigne in bloom?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got a Paph insigne. I see that it is developing about three, possibly more, spikes (only the sheaths are visible). I guess there won't be any flowers for another 2 or 3 months.

I want to try my hand at pollination and seed sowing and I guess I can't get a better guinea pig than Paph insigne.

I would like to know 2 things:
1) What characters does it tend to confer to primary crosses? And,
2) what would make for an interesting cross producing good attractive flowers (and can you supply pollen?).

I look forward to your advice, suggestions and comments.

Kind regards

I was about to say that's pretty late for insigne to bloom...then I saw where you are! Congratulations...insigne is a great, easy, reliable paph. When it opens, look up as many pictures of insigne clones as you can find. Then if you like your plant as much as the others, pollinate away! Take care, Eric

i think insigne is a beautiful flower, i saw a hybred of insigne X henryanum , and thought it was very preaty, i would sugest doing that cross if you have acess to the pollen, the plant was not to big , and i was told it was easier to grow and bloom then either parrent. hope that helps, the flower i saw had nice spotts and a pink lip

Hello,

Anyone got a photo of insigne X henryanum? While this is an experiment, I would like to have some idea of what to expect. Don't suppose anyone has a henryanum in bloom and could volunteer some pollen? (Just pick it off with a tooth pick, wrap the toothpick and pollen in tissue paper and pop into the post. Rehydrate with a drop of water when ready to use. The pollen, should stay vital for a long long time.)

I would like to get something in the end with a pleasing shape and vibrant colour.

Thanks for the comments thus far.

There are some relatively recent crosses made between insigne and various complex bulldogs. The best of them look, to me, like really good insigne, with the broad white dorsal and the median stripe of cordovan. I like them.

Back