What will you think of a sangii x hookerae ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Damas

Hi All,

Does anyone knows if this primary has been regsitred and if there is pics somewhere of it ?

I'd like to try it myself, having both species currently in bloom at home, but I am not sure it is a good idea...

What do you think ?

And what other interesting crosses do you see for these species ?

I think it would be a lovely cross! the coloration and overall shape of the two (depending on the sangii you have) really isn't too radically different, so I wouldn't expect the kind of freakish outcomes seen with some more radical crosses. Do you have a picture of the two parent plants in question? :) Which would you be using as the pollen/pod parent?

Hi,

Thanks for looking at it ! :)
I will do picture right now to give you an idea of both. I have already posted the sangii here, last year :

3431197526_d0db4a86ac.jpg

As I have two stems on hookerae, my idea was to use one as a pod parent and sangii as pollen.

This will leave me the possiblity to self the sangii, and self the second hookerae.

Yeah, I'd buy that. The two compliment each other on color. Might make for quick growing sangii-like thing?

Might make for quick growing sangii-like thing?

Sorry Ernie, I don't get the meaning of your question because english is not my tongue. Can you please explain ? Sorry :eek:

I don't think it was really a question Damas. Sangii is known to be somewhat alien like, so it was probably more in reference to that. Hmmm ..... A hookerae with brains!

Sorry Ernie, I don't get the meaning of your question because english is not my tongue. Can you please explain ? Sorry :eek:

I think Ernie means the result of your cross would be an easier plant to flower, and would look good.

I agree. But I would also like to see you self the sangii -- they are quite rare, so having more would be a good thing.

I think Ernie means the result of your cross would be an easier plant to flower, and would look good.

I agree. But I would also like to see you self the sangii -- they are quite rare, so having more would be a good thing.

Yep, Dot. Thanks for the clarification. Sangii san be a slow grower for some. It is certainly rare, so selfing is an awesome idea. But if I were to try to make something with the feel of sangii without diluting it too much, hookerae or hainanense would be good choices in a primary IMO.

OK, so let's give a try to the Hookangii !
And I'll aslo self sangii and hookerae :D
I'll keep you updated.

not a lot x

Hi, Marion, with paph. hookerae :just one pod mother (x sandérianum), and 6 pod father registered on Rhs book not too much used as you can see.
just say to you, good luck, Marion
Jeff**

Hey Jeff, did not know you were hanging around too ! :)
Thank you !

I have done all three :
- hookerae x self
- sangii x self
- hookerae (pod) x sangii (pollen)

I just have to wait now, and hope, cause this was a true heartbreak :

4744556961_d614e12f87.jpg

4745196394_a2675f8279.jpg

Never be done sangii with hookerae , or never registered that's better, good job .......Marion, lucky strike! I hope!
Jeff

Back