What to do with these Phrag flasks... suggestions?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

Several months ago, I replated some Phrag. boisserianum flasks. They were a little slower to grow than I expected, but they're coming along OK now.

However, they're still too small to deflask (at least, I never deflask anything this small) so I don't want to sell them or pot them... but I'm afraid that they won't survive a move to another state.

The flasks are all about this size, some are a touch bigger, some smaller. I have around 10 of them:

boiflask.jpg

I don't want to kill them. I might be able to find homes for a few of them locally, but can't count on it.

Do any of you have suggestions for moving them or otherwise dealing with them until they're ready to deflask?

TIA!
- Matt

They have green leaves and good roots.

I'd try compoting a flask, and keeping them cool and humid for a bit, and see how they do.

I would just grow them in the bottle until they are ready to come out. As long as the agar isn't breaking down and the plants are still healthy there is no reason to take them out. They seem to have a different timetable than you had planned!

If you're worried and don't want to take them cross country can you give/sell them to local orchid society members?

My main concern with moving them is that they'll overheat and the leaves will brown in the flasks, since they will either be in a relatively hot car or in a moving truck. Otherwise, I'd be happy to just let them grow for a while longer.

I haven't found that there are many people in my two local orchid societies that are interested in growing from flask, but it would certainly be worth a try to check with them.

If anyone out there has traveled with flasks and has some tips, let me know!

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Maybe you could overnight them to your destination, and someone at the other end could unpack them so they don't sit out in the sun.

Back