First time deflasking (Phrag pearcei)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdupont

Reaction score
Hi all. I just deflasked some seedlings for the first time! The species is Phrag pearcei.

A couple questions...
  1. Do these look... right? They seemed a little low on roots, and the roots weren't as white as I would expect, but I also don't know what to expect! Also, some were twisted weirdly so that the plants were not straight up-and-down which made them difficult to plant.
  2. I put them in small rock wool cubes for now, but I ordered these seed trays (click link here) and plan to fill the bottom of the trays with Hyrdoton and the top with small rockwool cubes and then top it off with a small little bit of live moss (as described in this post: click link here). Does that sound reasonable?
I'll be growing them under T5 lights, day temp of 74-75, night temp of 68-69, humidity around 50%.

0Klox8e.jpg

hkMZ6Gl.jpg

I never worry about roots much, ex-flask roots will not survive, in general, but will be replaced by roots adapted to whatever growing medium you put them in. The main thing is to keep them in an environment conducive to new root growth, and supportive of the seedlings until they do make new roots.

How are these growing for you?

your roots look healthy and pretty typical of Phrags from flask. I deflask into either sphag moss or seedling bark mixture with fairly good success. As Carl mentioned the goals is to provide them with an environment conducive to growing new roots and stabilizing them. I keep newly deflask seedlings in a seedling propagator with close to 100% humidity for 3-4 weeks slowl getting them acclimated to a lower humidity environment.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back