What to do with a blc Goldenzelle Orange Pun Pink bareroot plant

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda B

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered some plants from Equagenera at the beginning of Aug. I ordered two phrags and this cattleya. I wasn't real sure about the delivery date but certainly didn't know it would be Oct 1.This plant is about two feet high and bare root. I grow basically on the windowsill. Can I get some advise on what to do next with this plant.

Wow wow! I would just like to add....After much research, I decided to soak it in some warmish RO water, with a little wee bit of cal-mag and sea kelp and found that it has an amazing amount of good roots on it. I will let it soak and then pot it up in bark in a small pot. Hope this is all the right thing.

I look at a newly purchased Cattleya completely differently.
This plant has spent some time in transit, maybe a week, maybe two months. Regardless, I am very conservative in my treatment.
This plant, rather large, has left its grow site, travelled in a box for who knows how long, and now it is with you. I would not immediately put it in high light. Too much stress in that.
I would pot it up in a comfortable pot, size of which depends on the root system. If it has a decent root system with several pseudobulbs, I would choose a pot to hold the root system. Choose like the 3 bears, not too big, not too small, just right. Keep it on the shady side. Let it adjust to your conditions. Gradually, after a few weeks, move it into the sunniest spot you have. 3-4 hours of sun. Goldenzelle has many named clones, everything from pale yellow, dark yellow, pink, rose pink, orange shades up to almost bright reds. It needs a little TLC.
Don’t worry about it’s genetic bloodline. In a complex hybrid such as Goldenzelle, you treat it like a unifoliate Cattleya. That’s it. The key to success is enough light. You want to see strong growths, nearly as large as the most recent. If they get smaller and weaker over time, that is not a good sign.
Fertilize once a month, let it go dry a bit between waterings, etc.

Back