What steals your heart because of its leaves?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intimidated by malipoense? Why? I have one and it's a really good grower, albeit a slow one. I just read how they're supposed to be taken care of and... *coughs* let's just say that I don't treat mine like you're supposed to, and it seems to be working out fine. :)

Just as I have become obsessed with multis, then? To each their own. :wink:

Actually, I must agree; Parvis, with the exception of hangianum and emersonii, and Brachys all have seriously gorgeous foliage.

That's good to know! I was under the impression they were difficult. Maybe I will get a malipoense now. :)
I just got my first multi this summer, and I'm definitely wanting more! I'm getting good ideas from your "easy" multi thread. :D

That's good to know! I was under the impression they were difficult. Maybe I will get a malipoense now. :)
I just got my first multi this summer, and I'm definitely wanting more! I'm getting good ideas from your "easy" multi thread. :D
I really can't see any reason why you shouldn't and I'm always happy to help spreading the hoarding virus around. :evil:

Correction! Apparently I grow my malipoense in intermediate temperatures. Something went wrong in my conversion between Fahrenheit to Celsius, sorry about that.

Okay, thanks for that clarification. Btw, I was just teasing about blaming you...although I am always looking for fresh excuses to tell my husband as to why I've got another orchid!
I do have a primary hybrid that (judging from the leaves) takes more from the malipoense side, and it's doing really well. So that gives me more hope that I can handle a malipoense too.

Okay, thanks for that clarification. Btw, I was just teasing about blaming you...although I am always looking for fresh excuses to tell my husband as to why I've got another orchid!
I do have a primary hybrid that (judging from the leaves) takes more from the malipoense side, and it's doing really well. So that gives me more hope that I can handle a malipoense too.
Haha! You can continue blaming me, I can take it. It's okay since I blame all of Slippertalk for enabling my hoarding. I'm just a victim to peer pressure after all, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :rollhappy:

Has no one mentioned concolor specifically? The clear standout among the Brachys as far as I'm concerned. A good one is like a tiny endless abstract landscape painting.

I agree!! A healthy concolor has awesome foliage a mottled greyish blue green, they are easy to grow although grow a little brighter

Paph. malipoense is probably my favorite species, or pretty close, but its one of those species that I have a hard time growing -- I simply haven't figured it out yet but I will keep trying until I get things right. Mali hybrids seem to do quite well for me, though.

There are so many paphs with gorgeous foliage. Some I really love include Paph. Ho Chi Minh, Paph. concolor, and of course Paph. delenatii fma vinicolor.

The most beautiful foliage I have ever seen on ANY orchid was a large, multiple growth plant of Paph. hookerae that Chris Ellis had in his greenhouse at Hoodview Orchids sometime around 1988. I've never seen more stunning foliage since. The plant was a monster compared to any other Paph. hookerae I've ever seen, bearing a bold and brilliant perfectly tessellated geometric pattern of many shades ranging from dark green to almost white with a rich texture of smooth velvet. Of the thousands of plants I have seen in the years since, this one stands out the most because of that foliage.

Has no one mentioned concolor specifically? The clear standout among the Brachys as far as I'm concerned. A good one is like a tiny endless abstract landscape painting.
Concolor has a very gorgeous foliage. I don't like the Brachys, but they do know their way around producing astonishing foliage. :D

There are so many paphs with gorgeous foliage. Some I really love include Paph. Ho Chi Minh, Paph. concolor, and of course Paph. delenatii fma vinicolor.

The most beautiful foliage I have ever seen on ANY orchid was a large, multiple growth plant of Paph. hookerae that Chris Ellis had in his greenhouse at Hoodview Orchids sometime around 1988. I've never seen more stunning foliage since. The plant was a monster compared to any other Paph. hookerae I've ever seen, bearing a bold and brilliant perfectly tessellated geometric pattern of many shades ranging from dark green to almost white with a rich texture of smooth velvet. Of the thousands of plants I have seen in the years since, this one stands out the most because of that foliage.
Wait, what? Hookerae? This is a sigmatopetalum Paph, right? Why on earth don't I have this one? It's gorgeous! Maybe it's hard to get a hold of here in Europe? I can tell Elsner has had it and Popow has it, and it was/is expensive. Is it difficult to grow? I've noticed that some of those more difficult Paphs seem to be more expensive than the easier ones.

Molted leaf Phals (stuartiana and philippinensis)

Variegation especially when the bordering on yellow/green is crisp and clean (Phal aphrodite/ambalis and variegated neos)

Update : i posted the above based on thread title only and before reading the first post. I didn't realize that this is supposed to be for paphs only....oops.

Latest posts

Back