What steals your heart because of its leaves?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carkin

Reaction score
Which Paph do you think has the most beautiful leaves? It doesn't matter if it's a species or hybrid. Pictures would be nice too. ;)

There was a thread a while ago about. "post your leaves or foliage, or something". Lots of good stuff there.
Magic Lantern, venustum or wardii hybrids, superbiens v. curtsii...

Thanks guys! I love those too. :)

Eric, I forgot about that thread. Thanks for reminding me, I will have to look at it again.

Delenatii var. dunkel
Malipoense (these two are the only toilet Paphs I own, and in the case of the malipoense, it's only because of its foliage; the delenatii has a perfectly fine flower...for a toilet :wink: )
Venustum
Wardii

Honorable mentions:
Callosum var. sublaeve (at least the leaves on mine)
Hainanense

Although it's been said many times, many ways, malipoense. Malipoense to you.

But seriously, amongst the parvies, which is a group well-known for beautiful foliage, malipoense is simply the best. Not only do you get the classic tessellation with amongst the most extreme contrast between light and dark spots of the slippers, you also get large leaves with wavy, oscillating edges. Then, as if all of that wasn't enough, nature decided this species absolutely needs lovely dark mahogany, densely spotted undersides on the leaves. In fact, I'd venture to say that Paph. malipoense has some of the most beautiful foliage in all the plant world.

Another favorite, for many of the same reasons would be a very good clone of Paph. liemianum. The variegation is normally much less noticeable, but many clones do have slight variegated leaves. The leaves usually have wonderfully undulated edges, and of course, the undersides of the leaves are spotted with a lovely dark, mahogany coloration. It's like a less extreme version of Paph. malipoense translated into a cochlopetalum.

Next on the list, and I know this doesn't qualify since it's not a paph, is anything with grassy foliage. So, if we extend the question to slippers as a whole (and I believe we should since this is Slippertalk not Paphtalk), then I'd have to nominate Phrag. pearcei and close relatives, plus their hybrids. They produce the most lovely dark green, grass-like foliage. They look like miniature day lilies (until they bloom of course).

Great stuff, thanks! :)

Mrhappyrotter, I do adore malipoense but have been a little intimidated by it! So, I've just got a few hybrids of malipoense for now.
I never really thought of liemianum for their leaves before, interesting.
Of course you can add Phrags to the list...I am just thinking of my next Paph purchase and that is why I asked specifically about Paphs. ;)

Delenatii var. dunkel

Malipoense (these two are the only toilet Paphs I own, and in the case of the malipoense, it's only because of its foliage; the delenatii has a perfectly fine flower...for a toilet :wink: )

Venustum

Wardii

Honorable mentions:

Callosum var. sublaeve (at least the leaves on mine)

Hainanense

I think I have the same taste as you...except that "toilet Paphs" have REALLY grown on me, now I am a little obsessed with them!

Nothing ever beats a good vietnamense with its glossy leaves. Unfortunaty, mine turns dull due to all the stuff I spray onto them; but, they can be superb.
There is also something with well-grown emersoniis and hangianums, but hat may be attributed to other things than the looks:p

Great stuff, thanks! :)

Mrhappyrotter, I do adore malipoense but have been a little intimidated by it! So, I've just got a few hybrids of malipoense for now.
I never really thought of liemianum for their leaves before, interesting.
Of course you can add Phrags to the list...I am just thinking of my next Paph purchase and that is why I asked specifically about Paphs. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I have the same taste as you...except that "toilet Paphs" have REALLY grown on me, now I am a little obsessed with them!
Intimidated by malipoense? Why? I have one and it's a really good grower, albeit a slow one. I just read how they're supposed to be taken care of and... *coughs* let's just say that I don't treat mine like you're supposed to, and it seems to be working out fine. :)

Just as I have become obsessed with multis, then? To each their own. :wink:

All Brachy...every single one. I'm particularly entranced by hainanensis.
Actually, I must agree; Parvis, with the exception of hangianum and emersonii, and Brachys all have seriously gorgeous foliage.

Latest posts

Back