What lily???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
Does anyone know what lily this is? It came to me as a group of little bulbs, the biggest of which is about an inch high and wide. I've had it for a few years, but this is the first time it's bloomed. I had no idea what it was -- I didn't even know it was a lily until it bloomed. The first flower has been open for about a week, and the second flower for about two days now.

Lily_unknown-close.jpg

Lily_unknown-plant.jpg

It looks like just a regular Amaryllis. Not the huge ones that are most common. Hippeastrum might be the correct name. Nice one, though, and good growing!

hippeastrum

Very nice flower. It looks like hippeastrum aulicum or a close hybrid from it. There are lots of these around now and they're quite different from the huge blowsy flowers we're used to. I like the spidery cybister hybrids the best,

regards,

David

Cool. I don't think I've ever seen a species of this genus before. I've never seen them for sale here. Where did you get yours?

hi Dot,

here in Thailand similar types grow along the roadside they are mostly in mass
flowering to wards the end of the dry season april-may
cliokchi

Attachments

• DSC_7797.JPG
    DSC_7797.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_7799.JPG
    DSC_7799.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_7796.JPG
    DSC_7796.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_7798.JPG
    DSC_7798.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 11
Cool. I don't think I've ever seen a species of this genus before. I've never seen them for sale here. Where did you get yours?
One of Porter's Orchids (Michigan) customers died a couple years ago, and his friend brought us his orchids. This was among them, and I was curious as to what it was -- I'd never heard of an orchid that had bulbs like these. So I kept them and have been growing them since.

hi Dot,

here in Thailand similar types grow along the roadside they are mostly in mass
flowering to wards the end of the dry season april-may
cliokchi
OK -- I am totally jealous!

Back