What is this?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like there could be variegation, then again could be the lighting. Looks like glossy leaves. Probably a variety of Solomon's Seal. Flowers are in the axils, but its too soon for them yet. False SS is shorter, has fewer leaves, not glossy, and looks more orchid like foliage wise, but the flowers are produced at the end of the growth. Leaves are too shiny, and plant is too big, for E. helleborine.

Epipactis helleborine, a non-native (European) and widespread orchid related to the West Coast Epipactis gigantea. Some clones are cleistogamous.

Too tall, with way too many sets of leaves. I think its one of the Japanese Solomon's Seals.

But it has more pairs of leaves than I've ever seen on an Epipactis.....also they are glossy.

But it has more pairs of leaves than I've ever seen on an Epipactis.....also they are glossy.
Not as glossy as the photo looks -- my camera phone doesn't do well with dappled light, so some of the shine you see is overexposed highlights.

One of the things I can't figure out is, is that a flower bud at the top, or more leaves coming? There were not signs of flowers/buds along the leaf axis.

Yesterday I passed a house which had some very tall E. helleborine. With this photo in mind, I stopped to look at them very carefully...no doubt, fewer sets of leaves than this plant. Next week I'll be at my LI place, which has wild solomon's seal growing all over, so I'll look at them carefully too.

One of the things I can't figure out is, is that a flower bud at the top, or more leaves coming? There were not signs of flowers/buds along the leaf axis.

There's also a plant called False Solomon's Seal, which unless you look carefully at the foliage, looks more or less identical to Solomon's Seal. The main difference is, besides being completely different species, the False Solomon's Seal produces a terminal flower spike of small whitish flowers, rather than the bell shaped flowers at the leaf axis like Solomon's Seal.

Ultimately, until the mystery plant blooms (which is the most important thing anyway, right?) we may not be able to positively identify it.

Before flowering, false Solomon's Seal is still a much shorter plant than SS. Also, SS grows vertically, then arches as the stem gets tall. False SS grows at an angle less than 90 deg. I passed that E. helleborine, so I took a picture of it. Notice, there are only about 6 or 7 leaves, which are then replaced by bracts.

Latest posts

Back