Weirdo...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
It is weird that single back bulbs tend to flower first before starting new growth. You would think that instead of producing flowers, it would be more energetically inexpensive to produce a new shoot and better guarantee chances of survival. But I have had this happen to Grammatophyllum scriptum, bulbo lepidum, and now my Gongora claviodora. I think it must be very stressed to want to set seed.. :p
The back bulb:
Gongorabb.jpg

The buds:
Gongorabbflowers.jpg

BTW, another 2 back-bulb division is starting a new growth and my main plant is also in spike.. :)

the plant produces a flower so it can get pollinated and have the biggest chance of survival. as opposed to growing a single growth which takes years to grow and flower, not mentioningall the other dangers lurking in nature.
at least that is my take on things.

If it's happened on 3 different species, I would think you're doing something right! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That is the bulb's way of trying to reproduce before it gives up the ghost. It's a survival mechanism. ;)

That is the bulb's way of trying to reproduce before it gives up the ghost. It's a survival mechanism.

Exactly. So what I meant to ask is, do single backbulbs which start growing new shoots have greater survival chances compared to those that bloom first? Flowering will obviously deprive the bulb of nutrients and energy to put into new growth. So should I snip off the spike next time and let it grow instead? I also notice that divisions of at least 2 pseudobulbs always start putting out new shoots and don't flower first.. :)

Latest posts

Back