Walk across the Hudson

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was so cold today, I was able to walk completely across the Hudson River by Poughkeepsie twice!

The Walkway Across the Hudson River State Park features an elevated passenger bridge at Poughkeepsie NY where you can walk across the Hudson. It is the longest of its kind in the whole world at about 1.3 miles long. It's a completely uncovered span with seats, viewing stations and lots of information along the whole route. Bikes and dogs are also welcome. You do have to pay to park at the immediate west end but there are public parking spots on both sides and the bridge is free to cross.
Originally an 1800's railway bridge, it was an important passage for rail from the northeast to the west. It's pretty high up and had a pretty stiff breeze today

2c7389139af8be8af1e218f9839a3119.jpg

View looking 'up' to the west

b684d5691794cb1bd45078d25876f5d9.jpg

View south of the mid-Hudson bridge

843df717e462013fcfe8ac5306f264e8.jpg

North view

9f8418d6ece0bc09f3acb1ea2057a938.jpg

Ice looks pretty chilly; long ways down!

f9f5bc13dbf1435ccb9b65bc3fa80fbf.jpg

Me feeling pretty chilly as the wind blows

c9db853ead4bf0cf25907a09110a01dc.jpg

Poughkeepsie rail station

194e41da28324b0cc2807cc030e4ab93.jpg

Tug and barge heading north

7f18f91bc0ee950e8873803de4df97fa.jpg

Zoomed view of mountains northwest

0dc9c7a9eab7a82a72dec74dfffee412.jpg

Placard identifying each peak

2dfe6655b555f62c61270c93b22d1c72.jpg

5333db571534cc24d91ddf3c0bbc41f7.jpg

57abddf225c4fc90a4899adb9e3407e6.jpg

Various placards highlighting fish important to the Hudson River. I did neglect to photo the ones about the blue crabs migrating up the river and baby glass eels migrating up to become adult American eels
The tide was coming in, so the water was moving north up the river (I had to check the sun to make sure I wasn't facing the wrong way and turned around etc)

On a horticultural note, the middle fish pic highlights shad. It points out that they migrate up the River to spawn right when the shad bush is in flower, hence the name!

Elmer Nj

It was so cold today, I was able to walk completely across the Hudson River by Poughkeepsie twice!

c9db853ead4bf0cf25907a09110a01dc.jpg

Poughkeepsie rail station

Misleading! I remember one year it froze entirely . This brings back memories. When I was a freshman we tried to steal a line from a flagpole at the tall building in the background. We were going to tie all the doors in one dorm together so nobody could open them unless they all opened at the same time! :p thanks for sharing and the info.

Looks like a great walk, but not for those who don't like heights. What's really nice is that much of the old train line is a "rail trail" running from just east of New Paltz on the west side of the river and all the way south to Hopewell Junction on the east side. See, governments can make some nice things :rollhappy:

Yes, Eric, I remember it freezing solid too - late 70's if memory serves - impressive for a river that wide. I grew up not so far from Peekskill and Croton. We used to go fishing for stripers in the Croton River when they were running, but in those days they didn't recommend eating them - pollution was bad.

I didn't have too much trouble being on the bridge despite the height, but when walking didn't get much closer than 10' or look straight down that much ;) but when I did get close to take pictures I double and triple checked that I had a very firm grip on my phone! (Wearing mittens and the wind was gusting pretty firmly at times)

Charles, you must love frigid weather! I'd prefer that walk in the spring ... assuming I could overcome my height/bridge phobias enough to actually walk out on the thing. :p The views are pretty awesome.

Well, I was driving by and had most of the day and was curious. Plus, I'd originally thought I was going to stop at katzs deli on way back to south jersey and I would have ended up standing in long lines to get in and out (lunch rush crowd) and this was a good delay to get past that. Ended up just driving straight home after remembering I had some salad and a few steaks in the frig so no point spending big $$$ to park in lower Manhattan, wait long time and pay $20 for a pretty good pastrami sandwich :rollhappy:
Being from up north I can 'force' myself to be in a cold place but would have no problem otherwise visiting during shorts and tshirt weather :)

Well, I was driving by and had most of the day and was curious. Plus, I'd originally thought I was going to stop at katzs deli on way back to south jersey and I would have ended up standing in long lines to get in and out (lunch rush crowd) and this was a good delay to get past that. Ended up just driving straight home after remembering I had some salad and a few steaks in the frig so no point spending big $$$ to park in lower Manhattan, wait long time and pay $20 for a pretty good pastrami sandwich :rollhappy:
Being from up north I can 'force' myself to be in a cold place but would have no problem otherwise visiting during shorts and tshirt weather :)

I love exploratory stops/side trips in just about any decent weather. :) I lived in Chicago long enough to actually miss real winter weather, believe it or not. Memphis winters aren't nearly as long or severe, but they are wetter which can be kinda miserable. Still .. any wind at all must really rip across that bridge this time of year.

And now I'm thinking I need to find a deli. Good pastrami would really hit the spot. :p

great. Thanks.
But I thought you, literally, walked across the Hudson (on ice)

Well I admit to using the 'art' of newspaper titling to draw in readers who might otherwise not have read the article
Yes the wind was pretty solid so if it wasn't sunny I might have greatly shortened the trip

Back