old erie canal trail

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful photos, well done, thanks for the visual history lesson.

Great fungi photos. There are only a handful of dangerously poisonous mushrooms in the USA. Once one learns to accurately identify these few bad ones, it is much safer to begin to sample wild edible mushrooms. You are right, the smaller orange one does look like an edible mushroom. Unfortunately, one of the more dangerous poisonous mushrooms is the Galeria, which is one of the "little brown mushrooms", so always be very cautious before tasting anything from the "little brown mushroom" group.

Most (if not all) of the conch or shelf fungi are not poisonous, at worst they will cause some discomfort, but not likely to kill anyone. Conch is a correct name to apply to many of the Polypore mushrooms. Most of the Polypores are too tough and leathery to be edible. A fair number of the Polypores, like the woody Turkey Tail & Ling Zhi, contain an interesting number of medicinal compounds. They are extracted by powdering the dried conch, then making a tea. Polypores contain compounds that have proven to be antibiotic, anti-cancer, and immune boosting. There is a whole host of medicinal uses for the Polypores, much tested and documented by Western Allopathic Medicine. Traditional Chinese Medicine has documented use of Polypores for 3000 or more years.

I am just learning about wild mushroom collecting, so I have not proposed names for you images, because I am more likely to be wrong than right.

great info, guys! there are sections of the erie canal that are now part of the modern barge canal, and other spots where I think it has trails along it like between oriskany/rome and oriskany/utica, but others are filled in or covered over. interesting info about the medicinal uses of some of the conchs. i've heard about turkey tails and elms I think, but not very interested in trying to do anything with them

This post is a perfect example of why I'm so glad to be a part of this online community. Wonderful photos! I have always been intrigued with the Erie Canal, would love to visit the remains one day. Thanks for sharing!

"You'll always know your neighbor, you'll always know your pal, if you've ever navigated on the Erie Canal."

Back